Manifold/exhaust advice 1300cc Galant

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
75GC

Manifold/exhaust advice 1300cc Galant

Post by 75GC »

Hi, been ages since I posted, but I'm still enjoying driving my 71 GA Galant 1-2 times per week. However, I'm in need of a quieter exhaust set up... I have the 1300cc motor with modified head (enlarged ports), but replaced the very lumpy cam with a stock one. It has a set of long 4 into 1 extractors that need replacing and a 2-1/4 inch exhaust with single muffler. Needless to say as you open the throttle and increase revs it does make some noise!

So, my thoughts are to replace the extractors either with new shorter extractors into 1-3/4 inch exhaust, or source a standard manifold (round ports) with same exhaust. Anyone have something suitable in Melbourne region?

Looking for alternatives, current set ups on your Galants/Lancers and range of expected prices. I was quoted $390 for just a 1-3/4 inch exhaust without manifold/extractors.

Thanks,
Andrew
mstrrab1992

Re: Manifold/exhaust advice 1300cc Galant

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Have you asked them if they can just wack some sort of silencer towards the rear of the car?
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

All of the things you are changing or have changed IMO are nothing to do with how loud it is when it drives.
I'd put everything back the way you had it, and put a more restrictive muffler on it. Cheap and simple.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75GC

Post by 75GC »

Thanks for the comments. Yep I'll ask today about just swapping or adding a muffler/resonator. After some more reading about exhausts/mufflers I can see that the muffler does the noise cancelling, whereas the exhaust diameter (area) is more related to the velocity. Given I don't drive it screaming around above 6000rpm, I see the 2 1/4" is way too large. Seems like a 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"would be better suited to the engine displacement and typical rev range I use it. Should add some low end torque is what I'm trying to say. Simple $ decision, but yeah I'll see how cheap those options could be. Thanks for your help!
Andrew