Where to mount leveller/hoist to 4g32?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Chrislb

Where to mount leveller/hoist to 4g32?

Post by Chrislb »

Hey guys,
About to pull the 4g32 out of my lb Hatch.
Where did you mount the engine leveller/hoist to? I've got everything disconnected and ready to go, but I'm struggling to find a good spot to mount it to.

I was thinking of the bracket on top of the intake manifold, and making a bracket to mount onto an exhaust port bolt on the opposite side. But I don't know if that's going to be strong enough to support the weight of the engine and box. That or the two holes at the bottom where the block meets the sump, but they're both on the left hand side so it would be unbalanced.

Last resort would be to use some rope wrapped around the engine...

Hoping to have it finished tomorrow morning. Any suggestions?
C_Fernance

Re: Where to mount leveller/hoist to 4g32?

Post by C_Fernance »

I prefer to use the proper bracket on the intake and another on the exhaust side. I keep a couple spare incase I have an engine that needs one.

In a pinch i have used chain with the links hooked over the bare intake and exhaust studs, with a nut and washer to stop it unhooking. It isn't ideal, but I've never damaged anything like this yet.

Best advice I can give is to NOT use the engine mounts. Whilst they are strong enough to support the weight, they are too low and the engine will become very unstable once lifted. If you are careful and have a helper to balance it could be done, but the engine is constantly trying to spin itself upside down.