4g32b fuel pump

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Taz

4g32b fuel pump

Post by Taz »

So the fuel pump on the LC decided to give out on the way home today and after driving across brisbane to get a replacement i find that the one theyve given me is different, however im fairly certain theyve given me the right one...
The old one was a 2 pipe pump. One in from the tank one out to the carby. The new one is 3 pipe, which the third is a fuel return line. I did notice the car was running a bit rich and could smell the excess fuel but put it down to the timing which had to be advanced to compensate for a few things, but reflecting on it now, would explain why if it had no return line. Is this correct? is a 4g32b in an LC meant to have 3 pipes, one being a return line to the tank?
Belial

Re: 4g32b fuel pump

Post by Belial »

Mine is a non-return.
Do you have a return line in the engine bay??
Taz

Post by Taz »

Yea ive got a return line ready. Where the hardlines come off the chassis rail and join ive got a return line just sitting there with no hose over it as if its been taken off at some point.
I guess the other question is, should i be using this return line back to the tank or blocking off the return line on the pump?
Belial

Post by Belial »

If the engine isn't suffering from vapour lock, I wouldn't bother.
Same with the emission gear, piss it off!
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well the new pump is in, retimed and running as it was but this time round with a functional fuel return line.
No idea if it would even affect economy but it works. Just has to hold up till the '64 goes in