Astron II Carbureted intake manifold?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
steveracer

Astron II Carbureted intake manifold?

Post by steveracer »

I need an intake manifold for the new head that I just installed on my engine. My old manifold is what appears to be an astron I design, meaning the attaching bolts are top to bottom. The new head throws a monkey wrench in my plans, as the attaching bolts are an upside down V pattern. Can anyone suggest a manifold that will fit with 40mm ports, to match, and will accept the weber downdraft redline carburetor? I am in the US, so any references to what we may have here will help. Thanks in advance, I am a bit peeved right now.

The above is the NEW bolt pattern.
The above is my current UNUSABLE intake
stealth

Re: Astron II Carbureted intake manifold?

Post by stealth »

Take your manifold to a fab shop that can weld aluminum and have the tabs welded on then it will bolt up
Cheaper than freight from aussi land
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

I dont know what you guys call Mitsubishi Tritons or Pajero's...but this is the manifold off a 91 Pajero 2.6
I think all Tritons and Pajero's from mid 80's through to the release of the 2.4 had this head

stealth

Post by stealth »

I think there called a d50 or montero
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
steveracer

Post by steveracer »

Sigmaproject, that intake looks soooooo beautiful to me! That is what I need, and our Pajero is indeed the Montero. I spent SEVERAL hours googling for what I need, and surprisingly it was difficult to find an answer. Thanks for your replies.

As it is, it looks like the Montero or Mighty Max/D 50 pickup truck intake is the way to go. As well, the Chrysler Minivan (doubt you guys got that money maker for Chrysler) had the 2.6, and should be a million of those around here except stuff gets crushed after some time and those are old....

I also found a web site here in the US called MightyRam50.net. That helped somewhat as well.

Can't wait to get the rally car running again!
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

I've modded an early LYNX manifold so it can be used with all Astron heads.

Added the extra bolt holes down the bottom and increased the height of the rear water port at the back.

A lot of grinding, a bit of sand blasting and you would never know it was modded.

:)

Cheers.
steveracer

Post by steveracer »

Nice option for side drafts.

As it is I ordered a Mini Van manifold and should be here this week. This should work for me, and will measure the intake tract diameter to see how close to 40mm it is....

High performance Mini Van parts on my rally car! Yee Haa!
steveracer

Post by steveracer »

I got the cheap minivan manifold, and it is going to work just peachy. The intake runner ports are 38.5mm which is nice to start with.

I will be opening up the carb mounting area to help airflow.

after clean up and pre-assembly checking, the manifold will look pretty nice! I am able to use the Redline mounting conversion plates, which turns the carb around 180 degrees from where I had it before due to the hacked up manifold on the other engine, which is a nice bonus as it makes adjustment easier, plus the throttle linkage will be more robust and secure for rally use....can't wait to get it up and running.