4g63 intake manifold

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Taz

4g63 intake manifold

Post by Taz »

So in my travels of fitting a dohc 4g64 into the LC ive found the throttle body points and is too close to the firewall with the manifold i have.
I have a cyclone dual runner manifold that came with the 63 dohc head out of a lancer.
So far i *think* i have several options, but i have no idea which is going to be easier, or even possible.
Option one is to get the current manifold modified. Lop off the two ends and switch them around. I like this idea because its straightforward id hope and i retain the dual runner manifold. I potentially dont like it for its cost (havent been quoted on it yet) or its appeal if it would look bad. Can anyone tell me a *rough* ballpark on this one?
The other option i think i might have is to fit an evo manifold. Evo 4-9 manifolds are very similar except their injectors are in the end of the manifold, not in the head, and the EGR block off end is on the opposite side. While this would probably be the best option, i have no idea if it would be possible to simply block off a set of injector holes and the EGR port without any repurcussions. Pros of this however are an off the shelf manifold on an already turbo car, and can be picked up for around 150 bucks.
The other option is finding another manifold that is around the right way and would fit, however all manifolds i have spied that would be suitable also have the injectors in the manifold like the Nimbus, galant etc.
I see that a few people have gone the first option in fitting fwd/awd into rwd applications - is this because of cost or it is the only viable option?
stealth

Re: 4g63 intake manifold

Post by stealth »

Yes you can use the evo4-7 intake manifold , block off the injector holes in the head or use them for nitrous or methanol injection, plug the egr hole and on a stock 63 you pick up 6kws at treads , thats not using meth or nos
Or get a after market manifold there cheap and many options available
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

Ive been told to keep it close to stock as possible due to the runner length by the tuner, all the aftermarket ones that ive seen are a short setup or cost too much.
Im test fitting a manifold tomorrow off an evo 6, and can purchase it if it does for cheap, my only other question is are the little cutouts in the evo manifold going to be a problem? Can i get my head port matched? I assume it will be very detrimental to performance having that cutout not matched and left to hit the head.
Cheers
Taz

Post by Taz »

Nope, my ports are bigger than the evo 1-3, learn something everyday.
stealth

Post by stealth »

Don't stress its a 1g dsm head
Good for huge power and heaps of boost , the 2g and 3g were better though the rev range less lag
Just a lot less options for you
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !