4G64 into LC

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Taz

4G64 into LC

Post by Taz »

So work got in a nice MK triton with a really good nick 4G64 in it and being staff i can pick it up for pennies, and was curious as to if a) anyone has put this into a lancer and b) what were the results?
Being a DOHC EFI 4g64 its very appealing to bolt into the LC and have some fun with. Funnily enough we also have a good 4g63 from an L300 (although SOHC carby).
The triton being a RWD would the engine 'bolt' in or there abouts, and if so what gearbox can i pair it up with (dont think itd bolt up to a 32 gearbox would it?)

Thoughts?
:P
75wagon
Admin

Re: 4G64 into LC

Post by 75wagon »

These may help you in your quest.
Bolt in RWD upgrades: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2206

Ultimate topic directory: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=102281
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Taz

Post by Taz »

Its not on the list there, but i imagine it would come under the NA SOHC along with the L300? So itd literally bolt in if i find a l200 and pinch the mounts?
Im getting a staff price next week but if i do go for it then id have to go full monty and swap a VR4 DOHC turbo head onto it and go nuts. Funnily enough we also have a CB with a DOHC 63 in it too...just not turbo.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Ramp up the development on the '64, and u won't need a turbo
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Taz

Post by Taz »

Aww come on Scorpman, i must have a turbo. Had the suped up NA machines to their limits but never had a turbo =( I just want some waaaapshhhhhhh
stealth

Post by stealth »

You will have to use a triton box as nothing else will fit
Not to mention a fare bit of fab work
Cheers stealth
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Taz

Post by Taz »

Being the same as the L300 block (which apparently bolts in with L200 mounts) what fab work would be needed? Would it not bolt to the 32 box? Nothing is mentioned about a box in the swap thread so im under the assumption that itll bolt up or thereabouts. What fab work is needed?
lance

Post by lance »

Taz wrote:So work got in a nice MK triton with a really good nick 4G64 in it and being staff i can pick it up for pennies, and was curious as to if a) anyone has put this into a lancer and b) what were the results?
Being a DOHC EFI 4g64 its very appealing to bolt into the LC and have some fun with. Funnily enough we also have a good 4g63 from an L300 (although SOHC carby).
The triton being a RWD would the engine 'bolt' in or there abouts, and if so what gearbox can i pair it up with (dont think itd bolt up to a 32 gearbox would it?)

Thoughts?
:P
Hi About the DOHC EFI 4g64 in your triton . Sounds like the hard work is done . Will need some extractors made up .
Taz

Post by Taz »

Well theres a VR4 recod head on gumtree on the cheap, so ill see if i cant get the L300 block cheap and chuck the head on that. At that point i can just chuck on a VR4 aftermarket manifold and turbo and get the dump back made up. Have the L300 box as well if i can use that...
stealth

Post by stealth »

In my experience with la lancers and 4g63
Its a major conversion , im shore a rwd platform will be a lot easier
Either way you are going to need
The triton gbox , no the 32 wont fit
The flywheel , a custom length tailshaft (triton front yoke lancer rear and shortened
The l200 steel mount leave the engine sitting
To high and to far forward so custom mounts
Then coolant pipes (again rwd platform might be less work
And a set of extractors
Intake manifold either custom or modded
Fuel pump, surge tank
And all the wiring and computer
Air box and air intake/ filter
Custom radiator , oil cooler maybe
But would definitely be a cool conversion
If you need any help with the fab work drop me a pm
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

Hmm well since I'm going with the 63 vr4 head I'll probably need a haltech anyway. Getting a new rad soon anyway got an oil cooler on the way. Intakepipe and manifold are easy plenty of after market vr4 support with side mount style intakes. Exhaust and mounts though would have to be fabbed up if the l200 won't fit. Got an l300 box at work that might do the trick touch wood. See how we go. I imagine you're not mobile and especially to Brisbane. If my mate can't far them up and it's worth getting down there I might take you up on that offer.
Cheers
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Why not run a '63 and put a stroker kit through it (I've heard u can go as big as 2.4L)
Taz

Post by Taz »

Because price lol. Its hard enough to find a 63 that isnt 2 grand + for a running motor (and even then they arent a prime example) and then a stroker kit is a few grand on top of that. Evo parts are still ridiculously expensive and i dont see them dropping anytime soon. There was a recent feeding frenzy on the evo FB buy/swap page over a rocker cover that was peeling paint/looked rough and people were lining up to pay 250 bucks...for a rocker cover...
Its just easier this way as the vr4 heads are at most 500 for a reco'd head and i have multiple l300/MK tritons at work to pick everything i need off of. If i found a 63 stroked at the right price id jump on it but this is definitely the much cheaper option. Leaves more money for more skids
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

Look at the Hyundai's, they ran '63's, but since it isn't widely known, the majority of them are in better shape for a cheaper price.....then u can just change the Hyundai rocker cover
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

My little 1980 RA Colt had a Hyundai head and electronic dizzy on it...unbelievable.I would never have known.The previous owner was walking through upullit and thought 'bugger me if that isn't the same head as the colt has'. Clever old fella.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

I have just finished dropping a 4g63 into an lc lancer. There is a lot more work involved than what most think. if you have any questions inbox me and ill happily reply. I went down the narrow block route
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have a RWD wideblock which apparently bolts in with l200 mounts. Either way its going to be a while till its in, ive been quoted 10k for 500hp give or take so thats whats next.
Wouldnt hurt to shoot through some pics though of how its mounted if theyre custom etc get an idea of whats to come
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

the mounts are actually starion ones off a 4g63. Superscan can confirm as he gave them to me. the standard rubber mounts off a starion worked as well. for clearance the engine fits in perfectly. the cas fits close to the firewall but doesn't touch. you can even retain the heater hoses. if i remember to get photos i will. I used a narrow block 5 spd gearbox. to make this fit i needed a 2l sigma flywheel and clutch and the sandwhich plate off the factory 4g32.
Belial

Post by Belial »

How's this tracking?

I see there is a 4G63T for sale not that far from me...

Wonder if it's worth buying, rebuilding and throwing in MiniMopar down the track.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I've already got the block and twin cam head so I'm dont need another motor.
Belial

Post by Belial »

I was asking how YOU are tracking with the retro fit as I have the option of buying a 6G63T.
Taz

Post by Taz »

motor wont be fitted into the car until its ready, which wont be for a few months yet, i am about to move and have twins so not much time to be devoted to toys and theres a lot to do to get it up to the standard i want lol. You will have a completely different build though as youll have a 4g63t, which means no RWD engine mount castings in the block, you will be narrow not wideblock, and a few other small things like thermostat housing is in different location.
In any case, all my progress is in my build which is kept up to date on important things so check there first
stealth

Post by stealth »

Um the 63 still has the castings for rwd engine mounts , never seen one with out it
Belial if you can afford to get it , then get it the 6x series of mitsi engine is the best thay ever made, a stock as 63bt make 182kws at the wheels , with the right turbo and small cams 450kw
Spend heaps on a cranks rods and pistons and you can make over 1000hp
Remembering that 200kws at the wheels in a la lancer is Quick , anything over that is for serious drivers only
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

The 4g63 block i got for the head doesnt have the castings in it :o
stealth

Post by stealth »

Interesting ?
What did it come out of ?
6 bolt or 7 bolt ?
Cheers stealth
Taz

Post by Taz »

CB lancer, didnt check the VIN to see if it was stock or not, did the CB GSR come stock with it? id have to go and check the crank but pretty sure it was a 6 bolt.
Was the definitive point to make me stick with the 64 block and not stroke the 63.
stealth

Post by stealth »

I thought all the aussi lancers were 93s
But not sure
Is yours 63b or 63 bt factory turbo ? The blocks and heads are different
Thats were your 1g small comp chamber head is of , a 63b is non turbo and block is internally different
Cheers stealth
simon

Post by simon »

Did Some CB lancers had T/C 4g61s ?
Simon
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have no idea, i imagine they just threw it in there from a VR4. Unless someone can check the engine no. in the mitsi database and backtrack it to a car we will never know.
All i know is that its a 1g 4g63 dohc.
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm positive ALL 4wd lancers run a 4g63.....however, it is possible that the very early GSR 4wd lancers ran a 1.8L variant of the '63