Newbie - lots of 4g32 (LC) questions.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Taz

Newbie - lots of 4g32 (LC) questions.

Post by Taz »

Hi guys.

So ive just purchased an LC lancer with the stock 32 still in it, and i have quite a few questions! So please bear with me :D
I should probably first start with the intention of the build. It will be a weekend drive / occasional track day car, and wont be driven daily, or be built with the intention to pop down to the shops, so pesky things like mileage, driveability in traffic etc wont be an issue. Its going to be built with the intention of speed.
Now thats out the way here are a few questions i can think of off the top of my head:
1) Im pretty damn set on dual DCOE webers, and have found a manifold for 500, and webers off their site anywhere from 600-900ea pending how big. First question is what will the best webers be for a worked engine? Ill be getting a good grind, extractors, ported heads etc and probably be on the limit of valve bouncing - so what is going to be big enough but not too big (if that can even be answered without a thorough dyno day/last after all other mods are done?) Just want to get a rough idea of how big to go.
2) What is aftermarketability like? Is there a certain place(s) you guys go or is it really just pick up what you can find off the web? I dont imagine too many places would have a steady stock anymore, most of the stuff ive seen is run out stock priced to clear (no arguments here)
3) Headers. Looking on RPW page can the 4-1 4g32 headers there be made to fit a 79 LC? Listing goes to 74, but they say both chain and belt drive, square or round port so no idea. (http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=1) For 200 for tuned length extractors if they can fit...
4) The cam - is there already a really good grind out there for the direction i want to go in? If so are they like hens teeth? Dont care if its lumpy, dont care if its rough low range etc
5) Are there any recommended tuners/shops in brisbane that know their way around a good 32 setup? Ill be getting all the rebuild work done at RLC, as my old work used to contract out to them and they were really good, and working 7 days i dont have time to do it myself (sadface). Are there any better recommendations etc? Sub-question but best sources for forged internals? I imagine the reconditioners would source them but are they going cheap somewhere i havent found etc?

Theres probably a few more but thats the bulk of it for now :)
Taz

Re: Newbie - lots of 4g32 (LC) questions.

Post by Taz »

Just got an email back from RPW, the old design they had was for 74 and earlier for the chain drive, they have since made a round port for the belt drives, so guess extractors are only gonna be 200 + shipping.
Also ive found that the manifold currently on ebay is for the chain drive engines only. Stupid question possibly - but what makes it not fit with a belt drive? Just 4 tubes with a housing on them i cant imagine too much would be different? Can they not be modded to fit a belt drive?
Taz

Re: Newbie - lots of 4g32 (LC) questions.

Post by Taz »

=/ cant seem to edit a post, so forgive the incessant posting!
Dad in his infinite wisdom has said that the water gallery by the thermostat is slightly different, but can be modified to fit a belt drive with a bit of fancy welding, seems he worked on a few of them back in the day.
Back to getting the manifold off fleabay knowing it can be made to fit!