4g54 Pistons

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
d3v147

4g54 Pistons

Post by d3v147 »

I recently cracked a ring land in my Sigma (4g54, Astron 2). I have cleaned up the crank and replaced all the bearings. I purchased replacement rings; but they were made of brittle black iron rather than the shiny steel like ones it came with. On installing one of the no.2 rings, it actually cracked. I am not sure whether I should just use and old ring there or attempt to find another single. I don't really want to but a whole set. My other concern is that if they are that brittle and the engine knocks a bit (due to boost) will they shatter? Also a bit concerned about the tiny lip at the top of the bore with new brittle rings.

If I could find some pistons with decent ring lands and compression ratio (8.5-9 ish) then I'd bother to get the engine rebored; otherwise this is just meant to get it going again until I can get a 4g63 working; as the parts are a lot cheaper and available for that platform.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that doesn't involve spending ludicrous amounts of money.
Philby1973

Re: 4g54 Pistons

Post by Philby1973 »

I have been told that Toyota 3F pistons fit. They are 94mm bore.
81 GH Factory Turbo (awaiting a new lease on life)
81 GH Peter Wherret (just purchased - don't know yet)
81 GH SE 2.6 5 speed (having rust done now)
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

d3v147 wrote:I am not sure whether I should just use and old ring there or attempt to find another single. I don't really want to but a whole set
NO.. don't use the old rings.
d3v147 wrote:My other concern is that if they are that brittle and the engine knocks a bit (due to boost) will they shatter?
Not likely, It's the top of the piston that takes the brunt of the detonation.
d3v147 wrote:Also a bit concerned about the tiny lip at the top of the bore with new brittle rings.
Definitely possible. It happens quite regularly when a young hoon purchases an old car that has been driven by granny for the last 25 years and never revved above 3000rpm....
d3v147 wrote:If I could find some pistons with decent ring lands and compression ratio (8.5-9 ish) then I'd bother to get the engine rebored
VW pistons, do some research and you will find they are a good match, and cheap..

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION
d3v147 wrote:I would greatly appreciate any advice that doesn't involve spending ludicrous amounts of money.
How much are you wanting/prepared/capable of doing yourself, AND, how much are you wanting to spend?

Cheers.
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

Fixed a while ago. Used original block, pistons out of an old motor, new rings, new bearings, honed bore and linished crank.

Had some problems with a blocked oil return (long story) and then a non sealing head gasket but it's going fine now at about 15 psi.