motor stuff, budget hi-comp Astron I in my new GJ

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
webby

motor stuff, budget hi-comp Astron I in my new GJ

Post by webby »

I decided to pull this particular train of thought outta WagonWheel's thread so I don't get in shite off the mods for hijacking ;)
81GL wrote:
panda wrote:Webby, yes using flat top pistons in an Astron I bottom end would restore the compression back to stock Magna, like around 8.5 to 9
I think Webby is also referring to an astron 1 head (don't know why? ;) ). In that case you would end up with some rather high compression... not sure exactly, but would imagine around the 11:1 area? (cheater? :lol: )

Nick.
Mainly because I'm poor :P
Nah, I just bought a GJ Scorpion off eBay with a GH roller for spares, and I was thinking of going for a really budget build to get it up to speed. I'm gonna be using parts from the 4-5 engines I've accumulated since I got my GE (Dec 2007)

I have:
GH Scorpion block, fresh rings+bearings, std bore
Brand new genuine TR Magna crank
GH Scorpion head, mild port work, brand new 4G52 cam, Crow HD valve springs, fresh valve grind (unsure on specs), generally reco'd
TS Magna conrods
TP Magna pistons, std bore
Some random 2.25in outlet eBay extractors
Standard manifold (match ported to head, matched to carby adaptor plate), Weber adaptor plate, rebuilt Weber 34ADM (XE Falcon)
Balance shaft elimination kit

If this build works out, I'll be running it through the standard Scorpion 5 speed with an Exedy HD clutch and the stock diff. Incidentally, what's the ratio on a GH manual diff, and will said GH diff fit under the rear of my GJ? I'm hoping it's a bit shorter than 3.308:1, which is what my GJ's got (it was originally auto).
Also, has anyone heard anything on machining a Starion LSD centre to fit the Scorpion housing? I think I read it on here somewhere.
Also, if anyone has a boss kit to suit a Nardi steering wheel, let me know :)
Cheers :mrgreen:
Josh
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889