dizzy qs for turbo

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
leigh7005

dizzy qs for turbo

Post by leigh7005 »

i have locked my dizzy.now to set timing do i put the timing mark to 20 degrees on the crank and them line rotor button up with #1 or just the normal tdc the rotor to #1 as it is running like a pig and poping through the carby any help is appriciated
Superscan811

Re: dizzy qs for turbo

Post by Superscan811 »

First of all, why have you locked the dizzy?
A turbo dizzy will boost-retard the timing.
For your engine to run safely, the dizzy would have to be in the fully retarded position, at all times, to allow for full boost. This would make for a very sluggish engine because the only time it would be timed correctly is at FULL boost and MAX RPM.

The only reason you would lock your dizzy, even for a non-turbo, is if you were using electronic timing.

Cheers.
leigh7005

Post by leigh7005 »

have locked it so it dosnt advance and blow up
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Your vacuum advance only operates UNDER VACUUM. So there is no vacuum advance when you have your foot into it. A proper turbo dizzy retards the timing under boost. If you cant get hold of a turbo dizzy you can get a stock dizzy converted for turbo use with a vacuum retard canister fitted. At a bare minimum you need to grab a fully operational dizzy with vacuum advance and set the timing so that there is no detonation under boost ..that may salvage a bit of bottom end power. But it would be nothing like having a proper turbo dizzy.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Boc

Post by Boc »

Hi guys, related question so thought i would ask here if anyone is listening...
I have just put an MSD 6AL-2 ignition system into my Turbo Scorpion (2.6L). Main reason for this was so that i could properly advance and retard timing for boost as i didn't have proper canister on my dizzy.
Question is, what is an ideal timing curve and boost-retard curve to use that would mimic the stock dizzy turbo setup? It seemed my old dizzy would only advance about 10 degrees max so i have started with this curve - would it then mean 10 degree total retard under full boost??
Cheers