Can a 4G30 be taken up to 1600.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
71GA

Can a 4G30 be taken up to 1600.

Post by 71GA »

Okay so i'm currently looking at doing a 4g32 for my Galant, i have the original 4g30 in the car and a spare 4g32 to rebuild. Originally i was planning on swapping the engines but is it possible to increase a 4g30 to 1600? I realize the 4g32 has larger bore, different pistons, longer stroke and longer rods. The main question is can a 4g30 bore be increade from 73mm to 76.9mm? is the 4g32 gear compatible with the 4g30 block? The manual states a max increase of 1mm but i would assume this would be referring to over sized piston max apposed to the max bore increase? Except for bore do the blocks actually change from 4g30 to 4g32?

I hope this all makes sense.

If its not possible/ practical i will probably just do the 4g32.
Any help would be great.

Marty,
davetrees

Re: Can a 4G30 be taken up to 1600.

Post by davetrees »

Probably in theory ....... anything is possible if you spend enough money ....... but why on earth would you want to, given you have a 4G32 available ?

It will cost you a fortune in machine work, with the potential for heaps of things to go wrong. if you have that sort of budget, you would be better off building a good 4G32.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Thanks for your reply Dave and to answer one of your questions no i'm not looking to spend heaps of money. What specifically would cost more than a standard rebuild if you are going give it a bore etc. anyway? I definitely agree with the potential for problems and i guess that's why i'm asking the question?

There are two reasons why i would like to go down this path,
1. No changes to engine number would be nice rego/ legality wise(saying this i have not yet researched this in SA and it may be as simple as filling out a form)
2. I think keeping the original motor(block) is kinda cool and there probably isn't heaps of our cars out there still with it.

Cheers,

Marty
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

A standard rebuild usually doesn't involve any significant machine work, unless the bores are scored & you need to go oversize. Usually a hone is all that's required, and even going 1st or 2nd o/s is a lot quicker than a massive overbore

Boring & stroking a 4G30 is going to take significantly more time (at probably $100+ per hour) so it will add up bloody quickly ... .and that's without any of the disassembly/reassembly costs, plus any head work plus all the other new parts you will need (timing gear, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc).

All this assumes of course that the 4G30 block is sound enough to take that level of overbore - you may want to factor in sonic testing the block ?

Add to that new pistons, rods & crank (because you won't be able to use the 4G30 ones). I'm not sure whether a 4G30 block would have sufficient internal clearance to take the longer stroke, either .... the 4G30 is the only short-stroke motor in the 4G3x series.

Changing engine numbers (in Victoria at least) is as simple as filling in a form & presenting the car for inspection of the number ... given that you are using the same series motor etc.

I don't understand the "coolness" of keeping the original engine block - it's not like Galants have "matching engine & chassis numbers" or are some sort of collectable car. Engine blocks are just a consumable item to me.

Not sure what budget you had in mind, but my guess is you would be looking at $3K+ to stretch a 4G30 to 1600 ? You should be able to do a godd basic rebuild on a 4G32 for around $1K.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Being that the largest available motor in a GA is a 1500, the increase to 1600 is well within the 200cc increase limit for no engineers cert in NSW (being the state that seems to be the hardest on any mods through).
gaPhil got his blueslipped and rego'd with no hassles with the upgrade (and the engine increase was something the blueslip guy noted straight away).

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
71GA

Post by 71GA »

I'm currently running a re conned 4g32 head on the 4g30 so the head is not a problem and at very worst would it would only need a facing. I was planning on using the internal gear from the spare 4g32(assuming it all looks good) in the 4g30. So with that all aside the extra money would be boring and sonic testing? I was planning on completing the disassemble and reassembly my self.

Like i said in the first post if not practical(cost effective) i will just do the 4g32.

Thanks again
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I was going to look into comparing the 1300 and 1600, but like many other things haven't got there. Now the 1300 I have looks like it's going to a new home, probably better off then just being pulled to parts in my shed.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers