custom turbo exhaust manifold

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
84gksigmawa

custom turbo exhaust manifold

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Hey all a guy at work said he once made his own turbo exhaust manifold not sure what on though. I don't doubt his fabrication skills but I was reading up on turbos about them choking up at certain revs. Now I have a set of extractors would making a manifold be all that hard if I bought a turbo and manifold off another car then fabbed the turbo etc to my extractors. Anyone tried this or is this a no go zone. Cheers
simon

Re: custom turbo exhaust manifold

Post by simon »

My son (a boilermaker) and I made one using laser cut turbo and manifold flanges .we used 3.2mm 180 degree steam pipe (from the exhaust shop) then cut to suit
84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

I assume you had no major problems? I don't see it being all that bad I mean any turbo is better than none and I like a challenge. Did it work well?
simon

Post by simon »

I bolted the flanges to the turbo and to the motor, then worked exactly where the turbo had to go(where it would fit!) when I had it in the right position I welded a piece of 12mm rod between the two flanges. Then we could take it out and sit on the bench then cut and shut the pipes to fit. I am still wiring up the ecu at this stage so I don't have the motor running yet.the manifold does not have tuned /equal length pipes I have another set of flanges and we might make another one sometime.i have got some photos but have to work out how to work this iPad first
simon

Post by simon »

84gksigmawa

Post by 84gksigmawa »

Looks good so far interested to seee how she goes.