Identify my engine.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Cutty

Identify my engine.

Post by Cutty »

G'day all, my first post here but probably one of many to come. I've just inherited a GC Galant that has been disassembled and re-sprayed.

Part of the package was a separate motor and gearbox (5 speed). Now I know some of the history of the car and know that it's not the original motor, so I'm trying to work out exactly what motor I've got. Unfortunately the bloke who has the info has passed away and taken the secrets with him.

It's got a timing belt rather than chain so it's not out of a Galant, right? The block has 12E3 moulded on the side, and where the engine number is stamped near the head it has P321R*.... The head has M8 on it.

I've spent a few hours fruitlessly searching the web, so I'm hoping someone here can help solve the puzzle.

Cheers, Cutty.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Identify my engine.

Post by 75wagon »

Post up some pics if you can, but M8 on the side of the head makes me think it's a 4G54 Magna motor.
Fuel injected is it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This may answer some questions you might need to ask in the future, so just so you know where some really stuff is, here it is.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=102281

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks Dave,

Nope, not fuel injected, but not to say that it wasn't previously. From memory the engine predates Magna, not to say that the head hasn't been put on later though.

I've uploaded some pictures, does that help?

Cheers,

Cutty
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well it looks like a belt drive Saturn from a Mitsubishi Colt to me. I say Colt because it has a FWD engine mount point on the front of the head.
Have a look on the side of the motor under the carbs it should say either 4G32 (1600) or 4G33 (1400).

This might be of interest to you as well http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2655

Dave...
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks again Dave.

Nothing on the inlet side to indicate the type of motor....I was beginning to wonder if it was a re-manufactured block so I started looking at that and stumbled across an AC Delco catalog: (http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catalogu ... ngines.pdf) and under Mitsubishi Colt it mentions that the serial number on the 4G32 block for a colt starts with P32 - which is what I've got!

And that lines up with what you are saying from the pictures so it looks like the puzzle is solved.

Though I'm curious about the M8 head on it. From my recollection when my mate put this motor in the car it was back in the late 80's. Round about 88-89 he hit a power pole in it and took it off the road to have it resprayed and the motor has been sitting ever since. Which pre-dates Magnas that have that head code on them.

Anyway, thanks to your help I likely know what I've got (A Frankenstein 4G32 :-)) and I can start finding the missing bits for it.

Cheers,

Iain
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Yeah M8 heads are Magna heads, but Magna Heads are chain drive not belt.

When buying timing belts there are a few different ones, I know from when I went hunting for a belt for the 4G32B (B as in Belt)motor I had in my LC Lancer Hatch.
Take your cam pulley with you when you buy to make sure you get the right one. Your's is also the non balance shaft motor (that will make a difference to what belt you are after as well).

Dave...