Make my g32b go harder...

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
jameslikesstuff

Make my g32b go harder...

Post by jameslikesstuff »

hi guys i was wondering what sort of options are available to gee up a g32b motor? being new to the scene i ahve no idea what conversions/ after market bits/ mods are available, and would love t hear what you guys suggest.
75glnt

Re: Make my g32b go harder...

Post by 75glnt »

Honestly?

Throw a 2.6 in her mate.

I own 2 gb sedans, one has an extensively worked 1600 chain drive, I'm talking $3k in parts. Twin carbs, balanced, etc... The other is a pretty well stock 2.6. The 2.6 gives you more of a "back in the seat" feel to it, nice and torquey. The 1600 has a small pull but really likes to scream, and performs well all the way through...

If I were to get the 2 at a track at the same time, the 2.6 would certainly have the start, but I reckon the 1600 will reel it in once she's working hard. But, the 2.6 is a $1k job, the 1.6 is a $4k job... Bang for your buck. 2.6 everyday

Cheers,
Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
jameslikesstuff

ok, so not worth different carb set up or anything like that? with the 2.6 is it a straight in conversion?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The G32B responds well to a bit of port matching and cleaning up of the inlet manifold and side of the head. Kill off the EGR junk by blocking the EGR gallery under #3 inlet port as this ruins tuneability and how smooth the engine runs and idles. The stock carby can be tricked up to improve mid range without harming engine response and economy (avoid using an open filter/RAMFLO type of air filter on these engines - the tiny improvement on throttle response isn't worth the amount of torque it'll cost you...). A set of extractors will aid engine torque as well. Experiment with ignition tuning as well - there is a bit of hidden power waiting to be found. I don't know how much difference an adjustable cam gear will make on the G32B but they can be bought as cheap as $40ish on ebay not including postage. After that, it's all about how much cash you want to pour into it.
jameslikesstuff

The G32B responds well to a bit of port matching and cleaning up of the inlet manifold and side of the head. Kill off the EGR junk by blocking the EGR gallery under #3 inlet port as this ruins tuneability and how smooth the engine runs and idles. The stock carby can be tricked up to improve mid range without harming engine response and economy .
yeah thanks geezer, yeah id like to retain some economy as well, as i intend to make her my daily driver it doesnt need to be racetrack fast, but id like it to have a bit more go. egr, is that the fuel emissions crap?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The LC hatch I had a little while back had a down draught weber, and timing gear advanced 2 teeth. It would rev to 7k had no low down torque at all and when matched up against my GC Galant wagon with factory twin carbs, 3.6:1 diff centre, No5 cam and a very used bottom end would lose.

If you are serious about trying to actually trying to get something out of it, minor stuff will give exactly that, minor results.
Increase compression, larger valves, increased duration cam shaft, increased carb/s and exhaust with balancing the bottom end all should do something good.
But increasing capacity will make more difference for less money.

It's up to you, it's your car at the end of the day.
I've built my wagon to be a 1.6, it isn't quick and wasn't meant to be, I'm now building a 2.6 powered wagon, I'm looking for more pace this time.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

jameslikesstuff wrote: yeah thanks geezer, yeah id like to retain some economy as well, as i intend to make her my daily driver it doesnt need to be racetrack fast, but id like it to have a bit more go. egr, is that the fuel emissions crap?
Yep, that weird looking vacuum diaphragm assembly on the side of the inlet manifold with all the vacuum lines going to it (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). They are normally so carboned up they don't work anyway but if it's still operational, it is robbing your engine of its potential output. What a great idea - make an engine with an exhaust leak, then plumb the leak back into the clean air/fuel charge :roll:
75wagon wrote:...increasing capacity will make more difference for less money.
Dave is right - there is no substitute for extra CC's but I know that you're prepared to work with the G32B. It's a good little engine - reliable, cheap to run, easy to work on and relatively cheap to service. I reckon it would love a tricked up head, mild cam, small quad bike carbies and a mean set of extractors :thumpsup:
jameslikesstuff

I'm going to look into the price of finding a 2.6, out of curiousity. But for now ill be sticking with the g32b, as such why i asked what i can do with it. Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpfull
Merv

Post by Merv »

Turbo.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Suggestion for the g32?

32/36 webber
Extractors
2" exhaust system

That with some lower suspension and a good choice in tyre will see you a lot of fun :)
N/A ALL THE WAY