How do i astron (cam timing and balance shaft removal)

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
VGJONO

How do i astron (cam timing and balance shaft removal)

Post by VGJONO »

Hey everyone

So ive been helping a friend out with his Astron 2.6 powered galant, and we have had to go to the extent of buying a replacement bottom end after finding a few nasty cracks in the block. Now with re-assembly i have a few questions 8-)

Firstly is the cam timing, i am about 99% sure we have gotten this right after using some diagrams provided to us by Cottees (cheers dude) but i just want to be 100% sure because this isnt my motor. We have lined the two "bright markers" up with the mark on the cam sprocket but i am not 100% sure on if i have lined the marker up with the crank sprocket, just wanting to make sure this is correct?

Secondly, This Astron has had the Balance shaft removed and what looks to be a welsh plug used to block the hole where it goes, i have a few images, i really just want confirmation that there isnt going to be some major issue with how the balance shaft delete has been done.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
geezer101

Re: How do i astron (cam timing and balance shaft removal)

Post by geezer101 »

I don't know about the timing chain alignment marks - but were the balance shaft bearings removed and replaced with collar inserts or were the bearings reinstalled as to block the oil galleries? This has to be done or the engine's gonna have bad oil pressure issues...