2.6 Power Expectations

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
SDEXPRESS

2.6 Power Expectations

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Hi guys… Im going to start building an engine for my L300 4x4 soon and just wanted some input… I have a 2.6L Astron1 block which I'm pairing with a TR Magna head (roller rocker). I have already purchased a billet cam, double valve springs and a vernier cam gear. I have the motor going away in a few weeks to be rebuilt… What other modifications/additions to the block or head should I be looking at to gain some good reliable power? I should also mention that Im running TR EFI gear with an aftermarket computer. I'm removing the balance shafts… but thats about it at this stage… Appreciate any suggestions :) TJ
79_lancer

Re: 2.6 Power Expectations

Post by 79_lancer »

Get the head/ block shaved to increase compression, re- bore block, oversized pistons etc....
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Thanks lancer… What compression would be a good target you think 9 to 9.5:1 ??? Also, how far can you bore these blocks??? I've heard people increasing bore / stroke to 2.9L… My aim is torque and reliability. I think standard the wall thickness is 10mm between cylinders…
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

2.9L would be a stretch.....2.8L is far more easier to achieve and has been done quite a few times

As far as power upgrades are concerned...things like these will be sufficient:

Ports opened up and matched
O/S valves (with a 3-angle valve grind)
Larger injectors
Bigger throttle body
Very good thorough tune

The other things you can also do are :

Bigger electric fuel pump
Electric water pump
Electric thermo fan
Lightened flywheel
Lightened/Balanced bottom end
Removal of balance shafts
(In some cases) Very good earthing/extra earth strap( s )

These won't MAKE you more power....but they will help regain some of the lost/wasted power the engine makes.......+ making the car far more drivable
Built with pride, Driven in anger
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

You guys rock… thanks very much! Should make enough power and torque to pull the van along, for sure :) In regards to injectors, which Magna (TR-TS) are the best… the yellow or the blue?

I haven't looked at an electric water pump but i have relocated the radiator and the condenser in front of the van and put a electric thermo behind it. Whats the go with electric water pumps?? same mounting position?

TJ
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah alot of the electric water pump kits CAN come with a blanking plate so u can mount the EWP right on top....or you can remotely mount it if you like

If you need to source a blanking plate. take a "footprint" (or maybe a new water pump gasket) to a metal cutter and see if he cut one to size for you.....then jsut use the appropriate bolts to mount it all up.

As far as injectors go..... i have heard that 4L inline six Falcon engine use a bigger version of the same injector to the magna...they may be a bolt on fit.
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Nice one Scorpma, thanks for the info… Any suggestions in regards to electric water pumps?? I'd go Davies Craig… but just read over some stuff that warned people away from them… Can anyone confirm their performance or point me towards something better??

TJ
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

i wouldnt go any otherbrand but Craig Davies

rang them up just the other week.....the guy was so helpful i was getting frustrated with him because he would shut up!!!!...he just kept going on the products that suit that application the most lol
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Thanks Scorpma… legendary…

Everyone else: Give me your thoughts and or experiences regarding 2.6L builds… Im keen to hear about what people have done and what the end result is! :)

TJ
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

just strap a t51r to the side of it with supporting modifications and watch her giddy up.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I know the Magna injection is a tried and true fuel delivery mod - but what about something a bit different? Superscan has used quad carbies sourced from big bikes, so what about quad bike injection? You're already planning on using a programmable aftermarket engine management system and if you look at his (Superscan's) vids the 2.6 with quads on it revs like its turbo'ed. Looking around on ebay, the bike quad EFI systems look like they're cheaper to buy than quad carbies. They're also a heap more compact and are featherweight compared to the big lump of cast alloy hanging off the Magna heads... Add a tasty set of custom extractors and you'll have a killer engine 8-)
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

SDEXPRESS wrote:Hi guys… Im going to start building an engine for my L300 4x4 soon and just wanted some input… I have a 2.6L Astron1 block which I'm pairing with a TR Magna head (roller rocker). I have already purchased a billet cam, double valve springs and a vernier cam gear. I have the motor going away in a few weeks to be rebuilt… What other modifications/additions to the block or head should I be looking at to gain some good reliable power? I should also mention that Im running TR EFI gear with an aftermarket computer. I'm removing the balance shafts… but thats about it at this stage… Appreciate any suggestions :) TJ
firstly each thing you do needs to work with every thing else you do ----

what is the cam spec -- and what C/R does the grinder advise ( longer duration and tighter lobe sep require more comp )
and what rev range does the cam grinder rate his cam to

seeing you have settled on the cam this is where I'd start

as its a 4 x 4 I would go for a magna fuel injection set up over quads as it will be easier to plum the intake away from mud and water
it will no dout be a wide block so a starion flywheel would be lighter but not to light for a heavy unit like the L300

I would think about a crank scaper and maybe a bigger baffled sump
cheater
79_lancer

Post by 79_lancer »

As far as reliability go, the more you do to an engine, the more can go wrong with it. Especially where electrics are involved. Provided the work is done properly and by someone who knows what they're doing, you shouldn't have too many problems. ( mostly talking about oversized bores etc )....... Just my 2c

Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Cheers for the input guys… awesome.

Ill see what my mate whose doing the rebuild says… He's exceptionally competent with rebuilds - Mine won't be a stock rebuild but he mostly deals in the realms of 600 to 1100 hp motors…

Nothing compares to the experiences a lot of you guys have had with the 2.6's though… At this stage, Ill keep it a 2.6 (slightly oversized after rebuild) and do some port matching, polishing and focus on the head and fuel delivery. I have most of the TR Magna fuel stuff on the bench today - Going to give it all a blast…

Keep the info coming though!!! I know its a van… But it'd be cool to see what I can actually do to the motor to get it hummmmmn along the road!!

TJ
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

dont mock the vans......ive considered racing one

i was planning on building a walkthrough L300........removing the metal panels and replacing it with clear perspex

then nickname it "The Seethrough Walkthrough"
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Scorpma82 wrote:dont mock the vans......ive considered racing one
Have you even driven one? They are a nightmare. Good for using as a bulldozer on the track but there is nothing on Earth that could improve the frightening chassis dynamics (or lack thereof) in the L300/Express van. If you wanted to build a straight line bullet for the strip you could get away with all sorts. As for your 2.6 litre build SDEXPRESS, it takes 3 things to build a good engine - knowing what you want/expect it to do, research and the bucks. It's tricky getting the 2.6 into an L300 but a couple of members have done it and I bet things like hills and a big load become a piece of cake with the extra muscle :thumpsup:
SDEXPRESS

Post by SDEXPRESS »

Thanks again guys… this is awesome!! I'm building it for long trips within WA for work… The old busses are perhaps a little more capable than people think. Its all about forethought and driving technique! I'm definitely not out to tackle the steepest, muddiest track I can find. I have a perfectly good Cruiser for that. I think Geezer you may be thinking of the Magna 2.6 conversion… Definitely more complicated than the Sigma. I'm not disagreeing though!!

Thanks again. Keep it coming
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The carbied set up on the Sigma 2.6 is reliable but not a horsepower hero and has serious limitations. Seeming you're chasing ideas on power development the factory set up is the first thing that should be binned once you have figured out what angle you're taking on the engine build. I take it you're not going down the path of forced induction?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

geezer101 wrote:
Scorpma82 wrote:dont mock the vans......ive considered racing one
Have you even driven one? They are a nightmare. Good for using as a bulldozer on the track but there is nothing on Earth that could improve the frightening chassis dynamics (or lack thereof) in the L300/Express van. If you wanted to build a straight line bullet for the strip you could get away with all sorts. As for your 2.6 litre build SDEXPRESS, it takes 3 things to build a good engine - knowing what you want/expect it to do, research and the bucks. It's tricky getting the 2.6 into an L300 but a couple of members have done it and I bet things like hills and a big load become a piece of cake with the extra muscle :thumpsup:
I have driven plenty of vans.......and quite frankly....anyone who was planning on RACING a van, wouldn't take their racing seriously (like me)

Some people would build Hyundais, sigma's, mazda 929 for 'something different'...but thats far too main stream for me still....and really, if you saw a van go out onto the track to race.....wouldn't care what else was on the track at the time, ud just want to see how the van would go
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Here's my recipe (on a budget):

Astron II 2.6 block from a GN Sigma or early Magna, reconditioned and with slightly oversize flat top pistons (2.7 litre total), Astron 1 head ported, polished, larger valves with angle job on them, mild camshaft, ported and polished intake manifold with rejetted Weber 34ADM carby (from 4.1 XD Falcon), 2 1/4" sports exhaust with extractors and high-flow muffler and resonator. Compression ratio is around 12:1, it only runs Shell Vmax (98RON) petrol and ignition timing is about 15deg BTDC I think. Ignition is from the GN Sigma with high energy coil pack. I haven't dynoed it yet but comparing to other cars I've run against, it should be putting out around the 150hp mark and feels very lively. Oh and I also installed a balance shaft elimination kit.
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

BAD-SIG wrote:
with slightly oversize flat top pistons (2.7 litre total),
slightly OS is it bored 2.5 mm OS
BAD-SIG wrote:
I haven't dynoed it yet but comparing to other cars I've run against, it should be putting out around the 150hp mark and feels very lively. Oh and I also installed a balance shaft elimination kit.
I think you need to chuck it on the dyno - my guess you will be looking at 30 hp less than that
cheater
barana

Post by barana »

Yes, I agree they're not Seth. To be a track car, but they are certainly suited to going fast inna straight line.
https://youtu.be/S_sMDsvG_0Y