Astron billet cylinder head

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
mic_77

Astron billet cylinder head

Post by mic_77 »

After 2 years these heads are finally finished they flow 30% more than a heavily ported magna head. Ports have been raised and straitened aswell as a heap of other improvements they will accept standard manifolds, valve cover and valve gear. The main reason behind these heads was for reliability over 600whp.
Here are some pics
And the man behind them

Cheers Mic
geezer101

Re: Astron billet cylinder head

Post by geezer101 »

Those are freaking MAGNIFICENT! I'm not in the market but I bet everyone else is gonna ask this question - how much? And what is the time frame to machine up a bare head?
A112H

Post by A112H »

PM sent
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

really intrested in these could we get a number so we can chase these heads up . im sure u will sell plenty of these
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

i think its a fair to ask in what manner these were designed to be used? obviously not for standard street use, drags maybe?
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

(H)

Sweet
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

These 2 are set up for Paul's motor with titanium valves, berilium valve seats and the list go's on. He is thinking about a more basic spec but bear in mind they are more for the guys that want to see 500whp+ as for price you would need to talk to Paul his number is in the first pic.

Cheers Mic
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

You don't mess about do ya!
N/A ALL THE WAY
Spac2

Post by Spac2 »

That's one way to deal with coolant corrosion problems...

I very, very vaguely know Paul from a previous life. Beyond the quality of the workmanship, I'm impressed that he's stuck with the mission of making an old Galant hurtle down the drag strip quickly, for so long.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Very nice work indeed!
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Awesome work again from Paul! Looks like from the photos that these heads are to suit Astron II intake manifolds only but drilling new holes for older Astron intakes shouldn't be too hard. I was thinking of fitting a 6G72 or 4G64 turbo to my Sigma but now I might just stick with the Astron! I'll be contating Paul later in the year once I've saved up :)
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Oh and just so you guys know, Sakura Motorsports from Puerto Rico are still the world record holders for the quickest and fastest 4G54/G54B in the world (7.48 @ 176mph). Here is a photo of their head they use (looks very similar):

More info here:

http://starionturbo.blogspot.com.au/201 ... -g54b.html

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/inde ... topic=8554

http://www.sakuramotorsports.com/sakcar.html

Video here: http://www.streetfire.net/video/sakura- ... 727965.htm
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Yeah, I think this has been featured on S-G somewhere already. The general consensus on it was their head looks like a full drag competition unit without any coolant passing through it, making it useless for anything other than a few minutes of straight line WOT driving (that's Wide Open Throttle but you could take it either way :lol: )...and bearing in mind that engine is turbo charged and water/methanol + nitrous fed. What do I see as the next possible evolution of this beautiful billet masterpiece? Integration of the 16 valve assembly from a 4G64 head. It will be the end of the HKS 16 valve farce that rears itself from time to time; and the beginning of something awesome (H)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm suprised they haven't gone for a billet block yet.....the reduced weight at the front would be astronomical....having said that.....that is a BIIIIG block of billet ally to cut through and shape out

none the less, thats a huge achievement on their behalf.

would love to know the cost of one...and the weight difference
Built with pride, Driven in anger
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Paul's billet heads are heavy I am going over to pauls in the next couple of days I will weigh both styles and let you guys know. As for twin cam he would have done it if he was able to get hold of an hks setup but there is no need his old motor was making between 7-800hp at the flywheel using a modified standard head casting but he had a lot of reliability issues with them mainly cracking so he decided to make the billet heads and make a few refinements which has yeilded about 30% more flow all round compared to his heavily ported stock casting. Have a look at top fuel they still use 2 valves and make 8000+ hp.

Cheers Mic
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

mic_77 wrote:Have a look at top fuel they still use 2 valves and make 8000+ hp.
Yep, that might be the case. But you are talking about an engine that makes up for inefficiency through monstrous fuel usage - wiki makes the point of a top fuel engine needing 600 hp just to drive the supercharger (parasitic loss). Pretty useless in the real world but I couldn't see there being a problem with using hardware from the 4G64 and copying the valve angles etc to further improve these new billet units. And they'd still be single cammed which means the machining won't be that much different from the current configuration.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

How does the block withstand that sort of HP and strain??????

Surely a car designed 30 years ago can't handle that sort of HP in "factory form"......especially if the engine was only ever designed to produce 100 or so HP from the factory???
Built with pride, Driven in anger
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Paul has had no problem with the block selection is the key and a healthy dose of grout filling.

Cheers Mic
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Scorpma82 wrote:How does the block withstand that sort of HP and strain??????

Surely a car designed 30 years ago can't handle that sort of HP in "factory form"......especially if the engine was only ever designed to produce 100 or so HP from the factory???
When I did my certificate one of my lecturers informed us any modern engine can withstand a 100% power increase without too much grief. When you look at the specs on the Sakura drag engine (868 hp) the block would be the only thing left that's original. And those aren't 'out of the box' figures - that's with NOS, turbo and all the other bolt ons. Still, if these new single cam billet heads are the big step up in reliability and performance they are going to gain popularity (you're going to be pumping some serious coin into an astron to breach 600 hp). We all agree the factory spec cast heads can only handle so much in the way of modding before they reach their limits...
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

Yes I have seen that ugly mug far to often , he does fantastic work though :thumpsup:
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

mic_77 - Would you know what he's doing for rockers? Would be interested in some billet rockers...
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Standard at the moment. There is some billet roller rockers in the pipeline if the standard ones fail.

Cheers Mic
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I take it these new heads aren't wet !
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Certainly are deck is plugged for Paul's motor.

Cheers Mic
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

Thats amazing. Youve got lots of interest already stirring in the US.
The billet rockers are my concern as well. We had a guy making north of 770whp and said he snapped a couple rocker arms in the 7500rpm neighborhood. A billet mech roller rocker would be top notch.

What are yall doin for a cam?
G54B/R154/MSX/SC60/11.2@120mph
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

What valve seat pressure was he running? and what turbo and boost? There is a reason for these questions.

Cheers Mic
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

These are secondhand so take it for what its worth.
Schneider 100lb
67mm Turbo
50psi
Car ran 9.2's 1/4mi stickshift

You guys thinkin float?
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Check the underside of the rockers is there a mark where the retainer has touched the rockers? more seat pressure won't hurt it either, beehive springs will sort out the other issue. An example of changing valve springs and upping the seat pressure Paul's car ran 8.80's with 45-50 psi snapped a couple of rockers and so on he changed the valve springs and added a fair bit of seat pressure and ran 8.56 on 35psi.

Cheers Mic
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

he has since swapped engines.

Yeah, I love my beehives. Sooo no billet rockers????? :(

What are youguysdoin about cams?