VTEC fitted into a galant

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
hengagc75

VTEC fitted into a galant

Post by hengagc75 »

Just wanted to know out of sheer curiosity, has it ever been done? And if not why not
VGJONO

Re: VTEC fitted into a galant

Post by VGJONO »

I havent seen it done to a Galant, only old school car ive seen with Unicorn farts jammed in its engine bay is this Datsun with a S2000 motor
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hell, that is one crammed engine bay... :|
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Hahaha unicorn farts. Who do you reckon will win the drag Marty or Moogz? That would be amazing to drive.. Hmmmm if only b18s were cheap
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

already seen the video and know who wins, i feel for the loser of that race because it was mechanical problems
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Gee, that is a crammed engine bay. Almost as bad as a V6 Vectra I had in the past... what a dog to work on! Ha ha!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Wanting to go VTEC cause of the latest ep of Mighty Car Mods? I'd also look at the Mitsi MiVEC engines too, they'd be easier to bolt up. But then again, would be something different to have a Galant with VTEC.
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Hahah I've always thought of the idea of a vtec galant, has a nice ring to it.. They seem to be a lot cheaper than mivec engines. What mivec would you suggest? 4g92?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

There is a 4G63/63 with MiVEC too. The 4G92 would be good, except from what I have seen, the MiVEC version is longer than stock and probably wont fit. The other problem I saw when researching it for my LC was the back of the head extends past the block. It would need to me mounted further forward, or mount it under the dash.

hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

I like the 63 but thinking of something different.. What vtec engine do you think would best fit into a GC?
ryzor

Post by ryzor »

Interesting, but personally I find VTECs or any VVT type system stupid and unreliable. Just more parts to go wrong. Also I wouldn't take too much notice of what the mighty car mods guys do (even though they are hilarious) since they pretty much put out videos for ricers to fap over. The turbo mx5 is faster than the s2000, and even the mx5 is pretty terrible. Just my opinion, even though I do like to see different conversions.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The problem with using newer generation engines from FWD's is the overhang from the rear of the head (the main problem anyway...). Wanting something 'different' comes at a cost - like chopping through a firewall or spending big to get it to work. Use a no brainer approach - what are you chasing (numbers, cc's, torque, a turbo...) and see what compares to what you want. I'm no hater but why would someone use an SR20 when the 4G63 twin cam is a better offering straight out of the box...You want to go for an entry level turbo, why build a blow through that takes forever to get running right and reliable when a Cordia turbo engine is a cheap deal and can be dropped in with minimal head scratching. Mitsu guys are spoilt for choice when it comes to playing musical parts 8-)
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

also its helpful to know that most of the earlier (Pre 2000) honda engines all spin the opposite direction of normal cars, meaning theyre totally useless to mate with a non honda gearbox unless you want 5 speeds in reverse.
Insert witty one liner here -->
Merv

Post by Merv »

Billsy wrote:also its helpful to know that most of the earlier (Pre 2000) honda engines all spin the opposite direction of normal cars, meaning theyre totally useless to mate with a non honda gearbox unless you want 5 speeds in reverse.
turn the diff around :D
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

I've got a h22a vtec and manual from a prelude which was my old project where now i'm ditching the shell but keeping the motor and gearbox.... don't give me ideas to mate it to a s2000 gearbox and drop it in the galant! lol.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's a very tidy KE30 Corolla with an F20C in it.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/51 ... vtec-f20c/

I think the S2000 swap has some merit for those not wanting to go turbo.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Gormz that sounds like a brilliant idea I will be watching the builds forum for your vtec galat haha! Yeah you're right geezer just thought that seeing as Honda parts are fairly cheap and common so it could be fun to do also most my mates drive them so I would have some help in that area.. Who knows what I will end up doing.. Seem to have a new idea every day!
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

could be hopes and dreams but might be a reality depending on coin in the future.

also the f20c's are good in boosted form! seen quite a few f20c's pushing out over 500hp on a stock bottom end. They are basically the 2j of the Honda engine lineup. Turboing a honda motor is where the real fun is at having both boost and vtec engaging ;).
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

ryzor wrote:Interesting, but personally I find VTECs or any VVT type system stupid and unreliable. Just more parts to go wrong. Also I wouldn't take too much notice of what the mighty car mods guys do (even though they are hilarious) since they pretty much put out videos for ricers to fap over. The turbo mx5 is faster than the s2000, and even the mx5 is pretty terrible. Just my opinion, even though I do like to see different conversions.
...raises the question.As i have a built and forged BPT engine from the GTR on a stand.
Would it be worth the effort though?- exhaust on the right- need a MX5 gearbox etc etc...
leoca64

Post by leoca64 »

...has someone actually test fitted the mivec 4G92 in one yet????Theres a lot of space behind the LC's head Cotts.Being a 1.6 also i wonder if Mitsubishi kept the same bell housing bolt pattern.
Then again i guess the starter config would be a prob too.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I have seen a couple of 4g92 Mivec engines fitted into LA Lancers in the past.

I bought a 4G92 SOHC engine years ago to test but the head, dizzy, etc was completely different and there is no way the SOHC version would fit.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

Found this forum thread, with a mivec Lancer, but most of the pics no longer work.

http://www.mivec.co.nz/forums/viewtopic ... 03&start=0