Types of 4g63

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
valitank

Types of 4g63

Post by valitank »

Just wondering if anyone has put a SOHC 4g63 EFI motor into a sigma.. I'm talking the one from a mid nineteys galant.. And

Also what's the power like and economy with one these motors ?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Types of 4g63

Post by Scorpma82 »

Can't say i've heard of such a converion.........usually it's 4g54's that get used in Sigma's as all he models used them

In terms of power and fuel economy??? well my guess would be btter than a carby version...bu i wouldn't call it a great improvement
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The conversion should be a pretty straight forward affair. My bet would be using this engine in the special model GK Sigma 'Satellite' as these are factory fitted 4G32 belt drive engines (and I STILL can't believe Mitsubishi did that...). The EFI'd 4G63 should be a higher compression engine than the Astron. Fuel economy will be better and the power output will be up - but using the 4G63 will also improve power to weight and should help out a little with steering response. Going by wiki the carbied 4G54 made 85 kW (injected is 98kW), the injected SOHC 4G63 made 101kW. You could try your hand at using the 4G64 as this was the powerplant basis used by Hyundai (I'm unsure if the block has provisions for RWD engine mounts and there will be some surgery required being a FWD engine anyway...) or get crazy and use the 4G64 out of a Chrysler Sebring (113kW).
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

SOHC '63s were used in express vans and some triton utes so there'll be useful bits in those for your conversion. The twin cam is a little more work but not really different where the block is concerned.

Keep in mind that tye FWD motors are narrow blocks, I don't know about RWD SOHC van or ute motors though, can someone clarify this?

Also geezer, that's an interesting bit of info on the sebring.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The L200 express ute with the 4G63 engine is a narrow block. Not alot of them around but is a good basis for a 4G6 engine transplant.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Keep in mind when it comes to drivetrain parts and oil pumps, pans, 90s meant the introduction of the 7 bolt 4g63 from the earlier 6 bolt found in 6th gen Galants and older. 7th gens are all 7 bolt 4g63s, so flywheels, oil pumps/front case, pan, misc other things are all specific to their respective motors.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Australian Starion 4G63t (wideblock) block, 4g63 Twincam head, VR4/EVO internals (Gudgeon pin size difference), Starion gearbox (wideblock), Triton gearbox extension housing if you have a GE or GH sigma, front water port adapter, modify the water pump to allow for the twincam head timing belt, and you are almost done.

All of this depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the money you are willing to throw at it.

Cheers.
InsaneTD

Post by InsaneTD »

What would a setup like that be good for?
'82 GJ Sigma Sedan. 2l 3 speed, stock.

Call me TD.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

InsaneTD wrote:What would a setup like that be good for?
Superscan811 wrote:All of this depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the money you are willing to throw at it.

With standard VR4 inernals, recoe'd gearbox and if you are easy on the clutch, no reason you couldn't reliably push out 250+kw at the wheels with a turbo, or around 150kw N/A with high comp pistons.

Driving style will ultimately determine reliability. Hard on the clutch and you can expect gearbox, diff and/or tailshaft to implode.

When I did mechanical engineering, a VERY long time ago, I was taught that if you double the speed, you will do 4x the damage.

To put this into perspective, if you dump the clutch at 6000rpm:
a. you will exert 9 times more force on the gearbox/tailshaft/diff/wheels, than you would if you dumped the the clutch at 2000rpm.
b. you will exert 4 times more force on the gearbox/tailshaft/diff/wheels, than you would if you dumped the the clutch at 3000rpm.
c. you will exert 2.25 times more force on the gearbox/tailshaft/diff/wheels, than you would if you dumped the the clutch at 4000rpm.

Not hard to see why some people can't seem to keep their daily drive reliable... :lol:

Cheers.
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

Simply just run a 4g63t sohc motor from a starion as they're pretty cheap and still fairly easy to find.. and cause you have the wideblock you can run the starion gearbox or even a rx7 box once you get the right bellhousing adaptor. Also if you wanted to.. running the starion block you can also put a hyundai sonata 4g63 dohc head from one at the wreckers onto the starion block and thus will have a rwd version and alot less dicking around. Few things to modify but there is a particular thread on how to do this on austarion.com.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.