4G32 camshaft identification/specs.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Spac2

4G32 camshaft identification/specs.

Post by Spac2 »

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but the search function really struggles to help on this one...

I've got chain-drive 4G32 here from a rally car. There has been some suggestion that it has a Number5 cam in it.

How would I know?
Spac2

Re: 4G32 camshaft identification/specs.

Post by Spac2 »

To answer my own question again... It's got 1 stamped into the end of it... :(

This brings me to my next question:
Anyone know the specs of the stock cams? On closer inspection, this one looks like a regrind, but it would be good to know.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

just spent 20 minutes looking for the specs, i have them somewhere for #1 & #2 but will have to look tomorrow
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

There IS a thread somewhere with a number of them listed from workshop manuals ....to various degrees of accuracy, I suspect

1 = stock 4G32 Galant 16L/GB (I think the smaller engines - or some of them at least - have #0 ?)
2 = Galant GS. By all accounts a good thing, but rare because the GS was never released here.
3 = GTO
4 = factory competition cam of some sort ... race rather than rally spec, perhaps ?
5 = factory rally cam - genuine ones in good condition are rockinghorse poo.
6 = stock 2nd gen Galant (GC/GD), and also stock Lancer 1600GSR (it's what's in mine, which is a Jap import GSR motor). On paper, specs are very close to #2 profile
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

So what's the go with aftermarket cams? Are they stamped 1 to X for their according stages (stage 1, 2 etc). Or would I best ring the manufacture?

Also. Could I have a pic of where to fong the stamp?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

The terms "Stage 1", Stage 2", "Stage 3" etc are basically meaningless in terms of cam spec ..... they are just marketing terms used by some cam manufacturers/sellers.

A "Stage 1" from one manufacturer will not necessarily bear any resemblance to a "Stage 1" from someone else.

Any decent cam producer will describe their cam items of lift, duration, lobe centre, etc.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea.. Well I go by the old terms. 30/70. What does that mean?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Spac2 wrote:Anyone know the specs of the stock cams?
Have a wade through this thread http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... t=cam+spec and see if you can separate fact from opinion !

Bottom line .... none of the factory cams other than #1 or #6 are readily available in Australia. Easier & more effective to buy something aftermarket off the shelf or get one reground.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

So me having 2 #2 cams is that rare ?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

So me having 2 #2 cams is that rare ?
Relatively, I guess .... seeing the #2 cam never came out in anything here. That said, there were a lot of s/hand Jap motors imported by companies like API and others in the late 70s/early 80s, so there would be a few still about I assume.

They were originally fitted to the Japanese spec Colt AIIGS (4G31 twin carb) and Galant 16LGS (4G32 twin carb). I guess the 16LGS sedans & hardtops sold in NZ would probably have had that cam also.