High Oil pressure

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
havocgtr

High Oil pressure

Post by havocgtr »

Hi all i have just fitted a turbo setup to my scorp and while i have the timing cover off for the balance shaft removal i put a brand new magna oil pump in it and im wondering if i need to be worried about the REALLY high oil pressure its about 80 psi at idle and at least 100 psi at revs (gauge only goes up to 100) sort of concerned it may start pushing oil past the turbo seals although the turbo is a t04B rebuilt about 500 klm ago by Ray Hall in Cairns
1981 Scorp NOW Turboed , T04B , Magna Head , Recurved Dizzy , No balance shafts , :D
1992 Triton 2WD + Extractors & 2 1/4" exhaust + 32/36 weber = Daily driver and run around family car
Superscan811

Re: High Oil pressure

Post by Superscan811 »

While the Magna oil pump will be able FLOW more oil, the pressure is regulated.

Basically it means that you will have GOOD oil pressure even when the engine is low in the RPM range but the peak oil pressure should be similar.

At higher RPM's, the excess oil flows back through the bypass valve, into the sump.

It's a good idea to put an oil cooler in, if possible, because the pump will put more heat into the oil, exactly the same way a turbo heats up air when its compressed.

Cheers.
havocgtr

Post by havocgtr »

Thanks Superscan i have a oil filter (fairly big one off a rotor :) ) so is 80 psi idle and 100 psi driving ok oil pressure ? never had an engine run that higher pressure before
1981 Scorp NOW Turboed , T04B , Magna Head , Recurved Dizzy , No balance shafts , :D
1992 Triton 2WD + Extractors & 2 1/4" exhaust + 32/36 weber = Daily driver and run around family car
JBSTAZ

Post by JBSTAZ »

Remember oil pressure is only resistance to flow a good motor needs app 10 psi per 1000 revs
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

yeah my oil pressure in my n.a 2.6 astron starts at 85psi and drops when heats up down to 45 on idle. and stays around 65 to 85 on driving conditions.
jameslikesstuff

Post by jameslikesstuff »

My oil pressure on my stock standard g32b is at the top end of the gauge all the time, is this regular, or is the oil pressure too high?
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

im sure your gauge is faulty. hook up a a different gauge and it should vary in pressures when the motor is cold. to hot. then different rev range also
JBSTAZ

Post by JBSTAZ »

High oil pressure is not always a good thing as pressure is resistance to flow.
10 psi per 1000 revs is plenty.
jameslikesstuff

Post by jameslikesstuff »

Yeah might be the gauge, it goes to the top and stays there, no fluctuation.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Yeah might be the gauge, it goes to the top and stays there, no fluctuation.

This is why use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Actually, I started having trouble with both my water temp and oil pressure in the JEEP. So I threw 'em and installed mechanical gauges along with a mechanical oil temp gauge for the auto trans.
I just find them more reliable. Only thing, with the oil pressure gauge, you do have to be mindful of the capillary and check it from block to guage every oil change for any damage, as they can fail. :banh: Instant sump dump. :facepalm:

Other than that though....

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
brendon

Post by brendon »

I prefer a mec gauge too and had one but I was made to swap to electric :( for running CAMS events, hot liquid in the cockpit is a no no
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

mech guages maybe a roadworthy issue too for the exact same reason
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

brendon wrote:I prefer a mec gauge too and had one but I was made to swap to electric :( for running CAMS events, hot liquid in the cockpit is a no no
mech guages maybe a roadworthy issue too for the exact same reason
Oh cock!!! :facepalm:

So far I haven't been pinged, :P heh heh, spose if I do, I'll stick 'em on the bonnet in a fake scoop. :thumpsup: aka Pontiac Firebird style. :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)