4G32 Valve clearance ?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
VGJONO

4G32 Valve clearance ?

Post by VGJONO »

So for a while now ive had a little bit of noise from the top end (valve clearance issues) so last night me and a mate went through and checked and re-adjusted them to factory settings (0.07 intake 0.17 exhuast), only to have this be the result :banh: :banh: :banh:

http://s397.photobucket.com/user/Jonomo ... a.mp4.html

so my question is, what do you set yours to, factory or something else? by the way there has been a fair bit of work done to this head and the motor was rebuilt roughly 14000klms ago

Any help would be appreciated as i am taking this to the track on the weekend and would like to have these issues sorted by then

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
77GDWAGON

Re: 4G32 Valve clearance ?

Post by 77GDWAGON »

Do you have a standard camshaft or is it a regrind? You should do the clearances on a warm motor, .15mm and .25mm I think from memory for a stock camshaft.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

im not 100% sure if its a stock cam or a regrind, since the motor was not built by me and the guy who built it is hard to get in contact with, i will try the measurements you said and see how it goes
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

got good oil in it mate and do regular changes ?, I know my 4g54 gets a bit loud when its due or over due for a service lol
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

yeah that was my plans for today, but they got foiled by nature :P danm rain. so i will be doing an oil change tomorrow, then if its still loud i will adjust them to 77GDwagons recommended clearances.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I use an unorthodox method of setting valve clearances and it has always served me well. Yes, you do need to have the engine up to full operating temp first. But what I do is set them by feel. I loosen off the tappet, then adjust it til the tappet comes in contact with the valve under the tiniest amount of visible free play on the rocker and keep checking it while locking the retaining nut up (to ensure that free play is still present). I've found feeler gauges are a hit and miss affair with any moving actuated component - ignition points and valves being the main issue.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

definately unorthadox, but experience is your friend im guessing. it wouldnt have anything to do with how thick the oil i am running is, 20w50 currently, and was going to change to 20w60 as its what i was recomended. any thoughts??
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

That engine sounds crook. Given that you've had work done to the head, I'd be checking the cam journals - 4G3x heads don't like extra valve spring pressure - they wear out - Can't adjust valves while that's happening. Worth a look.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
Gazzav

Post by Gazzav »

So just to be sure are you adjusting the valves of each cylinder when tgat particular cylinder is at the top of the intake stroke?? It could be a really silly question but I have to ask ;)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Adjust them 'lobe off the rock'. The cam lobes can't be actuating the rocker assemblies during adjustment. It is a little time consuming as you need to be continuously turning the crank over by hand to get the cam and rockers into the right position.
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers Guys, gotten it pretty close now, weve figured that the rocker arms ect. are pretty stuffed, but we have been able to get it a lot quieter, a few more adjustments and it should be all good. and yes, doing them on intake stroke

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup: