EFi Set Up

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
luifly

EFi Set Up

Post by luifly »

Hello, i think this is in the right section

I am going to be converting my 2.6L 4G54 85 Pajero to EFi, I have been saying this for quite some time now and i havent been able to do it because ive been busy.

Now i am sourcing the intake manifold/plenum, fuel rail, eci, wiring kit, etc from a magna TN which i have already stripped and am planning to send off the manifold/plenum to be modified by cheaterparts (and im sorry i havent contacted you earlier, like i said i have been busy and a little sort of cash. I believe we spoke last year). The main reason for this post is not what i need to do the conversion etc but i would like to know the type of fuel pumps (both high and low pressure) people have used in their own cars and what i should be looking for (btw i do have plans on turbo charging it further down the track), also the kind of fuel lines people have used.

Regards
Luis
cheaterparts

Re: EFi Set Up

Post by cheaterparts »

luifly wrote:Hello, i think this is in the right section

I am going to be converting my 2.6L 4G54 85 Pajero to EFi, I have been saying this for quite some time now and i havent been able to do it because ive been busy.

Now i am sourcing the intake manifold/plenum, fuel rail, eci, wiring kit, etc from a magna TN which i have already stripped and am planning to send off the manifold/plenum to be modified by cheaterparts (and im sorry i havent contacted you earlier, like i said i have been busy and a little sort of cash. I believe we spoke last year). The main reason for this post is not what i need to do the conversion etc but i would like to know the type of fuel pumps (both high and low pressure) people have used in their own cars and what i should be looking for (btw i do have plans on turbo charging it further down the track), also the kind of fuel lines people have used.

Regards
Luis
ok if you have all the magna gear apart from some cheater plenum mods
the things you will need are a return fuel line from the reg to the tank/surgetank
a surge tank an efi pump grab one out of a camira they are the same as a VL
presure pump must pump more than 8 gal per hour for every 100 hp
ie say you are running 270 hp ( 200 kw ) at the crank you would need a pump with a min of
2.7 x 8 = 21.6 gal/hour or in funny little jap measures 79 lt per hour at line presure
from memory a Vl efi pump is 130 lt @ 3 bar
for a lift pump any after market that takes your fancy I would use a fassit
the lift pump it aslso needs to pump about 8 gal per hour for every 100 hp you make
but there is no line presure to over come

sorry thats old school but I'm old
cheater
luifly

Post by luifly »

So let me just clarify

With the high pressure pump i am looking for a pump that can deliver 8gal per hour, per 100hp. And depending on what hp i am aiming for it will determine how many gal per hour i require.
Also with a lift/low pressure pump it is the same principle.

Now, what if the high pressure pump can deliver more fuel than the lift/low pressure pump? Would that just drain the surge tank and therefore starve the engine of fuel?

Regards
Luis
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Luifly,
If you plumb it correctly, No.
You plumb the fuel tank return off the surge tank and the fuel rail/ pressure regulator return to the surge tank, so as long as your low pressure lift pump can supply enough fuel, everything is good.

Cheers.
luifly

Post by luifly »

Ok thanks, i forgot that there was a return line from the fuel rail
luifly

Post by luifly »

Ok

I have sourced both fuel pumps and i have had a custom surge tank made from a guy i found online and he did a great job at a great price, if you’re interested email him on robynn4@bigpond.com . Now the thing that i am not shore on now is where would i locate the fuel filter?

Should it go before or after the lift pump? or would i need to get an EFi fuel filter and place it after the high pressure pump in the engine bay, like the magna? or would i need both?

Regards
Luis
panda

Post by panda »

You can never have too many filters. One before the lift pump, then one before the HP pump, then another at the engine, like the big metal Magna filter. This will ensure your injectors always get clean fuel.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
luifly

Post by luifly »

panda wrote:You can never have too many filters. One before the lift pump, then one before the HP pump, then another at the engine, like the big metal Magna filter. This will ensure your injectors always get clean fuel.
Ok so if i go for the 3 filters, the first two will be filters off a carb setup (Low Pressure) and then the last one would be a EFi setup (High Pressure)
panda

Post by panda »

No, the only first one to the lift pump can be a carby type, but the other two must be high pressure EFI type with high pressure clamps & fittings or you will get fuel leaking everywhere. Fuel pressure is up around 40 ~ 50 psi (I think).
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]