Thermo Fan for a 4G32

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
VGJONO

Thermo Fan for a 4G32

Post by VGJONO »

Alright since driving around the last few weeks while it has been both warm and cold i have noticed that the engine temp seems to rise rapidly when im stuck in a bit of traffic, it will rise rapidly to just above the white line and slowly work its way up if i keep still. now knowing winter is almost here im not concerned just yet as it isnt too much of a problem on colder days but i was wondering would setting up a thermo fan ontop of the engine fan be helpful in keeping the car cool in traffic. my idea is to just run a thermo infront of the Radiator. have a switch on the dash so i can turn it on when i notice the temp start to rise.

This is around where is sticks. lower red line while crusing around. top red line when i hit some traffic or on a warm day doing under 80kph

also what would be an apropriate sized thermo fan ?

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
mrelshauno

Re: Thermo Fan for a 4G32

Post by mrelshauno »

You shouldn't need to do that.
Have you ever had the radiator cleaned? I don't mean taking the hoses off and running the hose through it either.
For years I have had a mate sponsor my race cars who owns a Radiator shop and I have learnt a bit about them but have seen a heap of radiators that look ok on the outside but take the top tank off and it is a different story.
Thats where I would start and check the thermostat as well.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Assuming your gauge is accurate (which is a pretty big assumption with these cars !) that isn't getting even remotely hot anyway. Between the 2 white lines is "normal range". You would expect it to get a bit warmer when sitting in traffic with no air flow.

If it's towards the upper end while driving, then you may have a problem. That said, a proper radiator clean is always a good idea periodically, and cheap (maybe $100 - $120).

I'm a big fan (no pun :) ) of having an accessory temp gauge with degrees marked - so you actually KNOW what the water temperature is.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

That's pretty much what i was going to say.....if the temp only rises rapidly without the airflow....then the radiator is probably partially blocked.....but going by the messages before me...that was already mentioned lol

Probably a good idea to get a couple of radiator hoses as well, more than likely covered in crap or maybe even starting to flake on the inside
Built with pride, Driven in anger
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

davetrees wrote: I'm a big fan (no pun :) ) of having an accessory temp gauge with degrees marked - so you actually KNOW what the water temperature is.
I agree with putting a acc temp guage on first , then you will know what temp the engine is doing

if its well under boiling I wouldn't do much at all and remember that if you have a 13 lb presure cap ( sorry I dont know what that is in metric )the boiling point is 251 deg F or 107 deg C
cheater
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Im going to say i have a blockage in my radiator, got a Gregories manual today and read that these radiators should be stored full of water to prevent any gunk from drying up, then flaking of and causing blockages, since my radiator was dry stored i thing it may need a flush, if that doesnt work, i have another one there, yet again dry stored. i wouldnt have an issue with the temp rising so little, just seems that the motor gets a little cranky and coughs and splutters at low revs every now and then when she is sitting above the white line, might just be the tuning.