Something cool for a g63... Lol

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
75glnt

Something cool for a g63... Lol

Post by 75glnt »

Ok. I want to do something cool with the g63. Like quad throttle bodies and such. What is out there?

Cheers :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Re: Something cool for a g63... Lol

Post by geezer101 »

You want ITB's off the shelf - expect to pay big coin for an aftermarket product. The G63B doesn't have great aftermarket support unless you're talking VR4 turbo or N/A twin cam. I've been eyeballing superscan's quad carby build and IMO the SOHC G62/63B engine is a candidate for a downdraught set up from something like a Suzuki GSX-R 1100. They're in pairs so it will suit the paired inlet ports on the G62/63B, and being downdraught (well they're more like on a 45 degree angle) can be set up to be a bit more compact. If not interested in the carb option have a google of companies like Jenvey in the UK and see how much they're charging for billet ITB's.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

So what about dohc n/a quad carbs? I'm open to a lot of things with this as I want something that will make people go "wtf I'd that!?" Or "wow". Not really interested in efi or turbo, unless someone can convince me and back me up when I'm having issues. Hence why I stick with carbs. I know what to do with those :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheapest set up would be to fit a set of ITB's from a GTi-R Pulsar on a custom adapter plate.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-N14-P ... 165&_uhb=1
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh, it's really rather ugly?? Lol. I love quad carbs! They look, sound and perform well! Maybe go quad carbs with red foam uni filters? Thy look cool :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

This is twin sidedrafts on a custom manifold fitted to a sohc 4g63
which was in this
If you went the custom manifold you could fit these http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/twin-throt ... air-tbpxxi throttle bodies or you could use some blacktop or silvertop 4age throttle bodies. I would recommend the silvertop as the make manifold fabrication much easier and they are usually cheap (under $200NZ) on trademe in NZ.

If you had a dohc head from 7-bolt pre evo4 engine and had lots of money you could go http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/manifold/j ... v0-sf-mm01 for the manifold and weld up the injector ports in the manifold and fit 4 of these http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/individual ... j-sfxx-0-0 and you could run 8 injectors.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

It's certainly something to think about.. Very expensive though! Lol :P with the twin sidedraught manifolds.. Is there a reason why they pipes between the head and carbs Is that long? Can I make them an inch long so it's all tucked in there nicely?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I kinda want something really neat but looks good at the same time.. What's efi look like on the sohc 4g63? Can I somehow get rid of the huge plastic timing cover? Or make it look better?
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

On that head design it has the inlet and exhaust ports paired. To make the inlet runners any shorter would be not only very difficult, butwould have a detrimental effect on performance as the air/fuel charge will have to make 2 very big deviations in direction in a short time (the DCOE weber throats are a lot further apart than the ports on the head). The plus side to these inlet manifolds is they are separate and wouldn't be that hard to make. I've seen a set of those inlet manifolds for sale on eBay but they were rubbish and expensive (think it was $350 AU or US).
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea that's what I was thinking.. I might go efi... It's all snug and close to the engine. Looks ok.. Kinda :/ I'll post a pic of what I want it to look like. (This car is the pretty car) lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I know it's a supra.. But something like this..

http://m.flickr.com/photos/evinsj/3860453113/lightbox/

I can't post pics because my browser has changed.. Mobile phone.. Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

There are quite a few different throttle bodies you can use but they all require a custom manifold to be made.

It's not that difficult but again, it will cost you either a lot of time or a lot of money, depending on your skill and the equipment you have available.

For a twincam project with high comp, I would use a 4g61 twincam head which has a smaller combustion chamber (best for N/A applications) and at least 40mm throttle bodies or carbs, especially if you are aiming for a performance build.

There are a few types of throttle bodies that lend them selves to being "re-spaced". While not specifically needed, it does give you a more "professional" look, but at a higher cost.

42mm throttlebodies off a 1400cc SeaDoo (I think)

42mm throttlebodies off a Hayabussa

42mm throttlebodies off a 2002 GSXR1000 that I have started to space out.

While a bare set of throttlebodies (no TPS/injectors/boots) can be bought fairly cheaply off Ebay, for around $200, typically expect to pay $300-$400 for a good set. If you are willing to do a lot of searching and are prepared to wait for the bargains, a COMPLETE set can be found for less than $150. They do come up occasionally at that price, but not often.

Now that you have them, you have a few choices to make.
1.To space them out to the same width as the runners is time consuming and would expect it to cost at least $150 from a machining shop.
2.To manufacture a manifold to suit, expect around $200 - $400 depending on how professional you want the finish and if you have a standard inlet manifold they can chop up.

The cost for a carb setup is basically the same but you don't need to buy an after-market computer to run the system.

Then comes the tuning... $$$...

Thats why I bought a TechEdge Wide band O2 setup with a data logger. My tuning costs is basically petrol and time (plus $450 for the complete TechEdge unit), not petrol Time and $100 per hour.

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea see, I don't particularly want to run computers. Hence why a quad carb setup. Can I mod something like the housing of the efi thing (the big box thing on the intake side of the engine... Lol :P ) to cover up the carbs? But cut the bottom out so it still gets air? Or just use a pipe and filter setup like it was efi?
N/A ALL THE WAY
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

75glnt wrote:Yea see, I don't particularly want to run computers. Hence why a quad carb setup. Can I mod something like the housing of the efi thing (the big box thing on the intake side of the engine... Lol :P ) to cover up the carbs? But cut the bottom out so it still gets air? Or just use a pipe and filter setup like it was efi?

??? do you Know why you run quad TBs or quad chokes ( twin webers or 4 MC carbs )

seperate runners can give a super charging effect know as pulse tuning the lenth of the runner can be made the right lenth to time the presure pulses that run up and down the runner
joining them in a plenum would bugger up these pulses

I dont even like air cleaners ( I dont use them ) as it knocks off the streath of the pulses -- air cleaners are over rated on my engines
cheater
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ok?? I'm lost! Lol.. I'm no good with anything after 1975-1980. I know to get the good stuff in, the bad stuff out. So eg. Mild 1600 would have a 2" exhaust, webber carb and a small cam. I'm only new to head work, more than one carby and only just heard of quad throttle bodies within a week ago. So. I want to build a torquey fun but not stupid na 4g63 sohc. But have something different.

What would you suggest? Something cheapish.. But good.
N/A ALL THE WAY
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

be the cool kid on the block twin weber DCOEs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/42-DCOE-Webe ... 3cd01fc651
cheater
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

cheaterparts wrote:be the cool kid on the block twin weber DCOEs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/42-DCOE-Webe ... 3cd01fc651
I agree. And they sound great.
1976 Galant Hardtop
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea it something I'm willing to do. But I want something purdy to! :P unless there's some wicked looking filters!

Ok, don't say what I should do. What would you do? With the 4g63 of coarse.

Can someone show me what twin dcoe webbers look like on a g63?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

For a carb setup, I'd recommend getting a standard manifold and cutting off the existing runners. That will give you a good start for making a custom manifold as you would only need to weld on some bits of aluminium pipe to suit the spacing of the carbs. That would be the cheapest and easiest option.

A lot of the later (post 2000) motorbike carbs actually come with a TPS which is very useful when you have a logger

You will still need to tune it all. If you are reasonably competent, you can attempt it yourself but you will need at least a wide band O2 sensor so you can see the AFR's. A wide band O2 sensor with a data logger is preferable because you can keep your eyes on the road, not the AFR display and tacho, while trying to guess the throttle position.

To get a rough but workable tune, expect to spend 2-3 hours. I'm continually tinkering with my carbs in an effort to get the best mileage out of them and on the Wiseman's Ferry cruise last weekend, I was averaging 10.9l per 100k (approx 26mpg). Thats' not too bad especially since it has a 4.6 diff ratio, weighs over 1400kg, and I wasn't light on the pedal.

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Hmmm... I have the standard manifold. So it's a start on all the upgrades..
N/A ALL THE WAY
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Can someone show me what twin dcoe webbers look like on a g63?
If you look closely at the engine bay photo I posted above you will see a 4g63 with twin sidedrafts that look like dcoe webbers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh sorry mate. I did have a really good look at it. Just didn't know the two sets looked the same/similar. Cheers. :)
N/A ALL THE WAY