What radiator to get?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
dnvgalant

What radiator to get?

Post by dnvgalant »

Hey, I've been searching the forum for hours and have come up with nothing.

I'm trying to work out what radiator i can use in my GB with the 2.6 conversion i have done.

I'm thinking possibly an rx2 alloy one and getting flexihose to connect it up.

What have other people used? any downsides to having longer flexihoses?
GB_BB4C

Re: What radiator to get?

Post by GB_BB4C »

I ran one out of a Ford Laser (dont ask what model (KE maybe???)) with an Injected 2.6lt. It just fit inbetween the rails and was about the same height as the Galant one. I just chose it as there is more surface area to cool down. I was running it with 2 electric fan's mounted on the front of it. Yhe other alternative is to get your Galant one made into a 3core.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

Thanks Mate, Gonna check the dimensions on some laser radiators.
Any idea on average cost of getting converted to 3 core?
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

no idea, few hundred i expect, but least ya know it's all new etc..
the laser one cost me about $50 at the wreckers and just happened to find one that had been redone recently.

The laser one is the NON alloy one that the later ones ran. So it has the copper top and bottom tanks.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Why not just get the GB one re-cored with bigger capacity ?
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

Hk works well for me. Only issue si you need two hose sizes
A112H

Post by A112H »

Measure in the engine bay the max size it will take and go searching ebay. Lots of the alloy rads on there list the sizes.
That is what I did and ended up with one designed for an EH Holden, works almost too good, lol.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Performance- ... 974wt_1037

That is the one I bought, as you can see it has no holes in the mounting plates so you can drill it to suit your car perfectly.
camB

Post by camB »

How'd you go with this seller? Have a friend who had issues with size and outlet positions, only to find that they're a Chinese company with a Melbourne shipping address.
A112H

Post by A112H »

All good, runs too cold if anything, lol. Top outlet is smaller than the Sigma/Galant outlet but nothing a bit of stretchy, good silicone hose can't fix.
Best pic I could find, these joiners are good, they can work as a reducer and also have a bleed screw or you could fit a temp gauge in there.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

What you's guys are using in you GC's and GD's is no good for us people with GA's and GB's as we dont have the height clearance that you have.
As Jason metioned, best thing is to measure what space you have and look on EBay for one or go to you local radiator shop and they may be able to assist you. This is how me and my mate found the Laser one, we then went to the wreckers to find a good condition one..

71GA

Post by 71GA »

I am going through the same problems with my Ga at the moment. I decided to take my radiator to a radiator guy and he quoted me $330 to make a 2 core radiator with my tanks and around $460 to make a 3 core with my tanks, either way its a lot of money. If anyone has worked out which model laser radiator to use please let us know.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

I think from memory they only had the two types, the earlier one that I used with the copper tanks and about half way through the range they changed to alloy ones. I'm talking KA to KF Lasers.

71GA

Post by 71GA »

Cheers mate. After doing some Ebay investigating it looks like you probably used a KA-KB radiator as these were to only brass tank copper core ones i could find.
Thanks for your help
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

What about using one from a FWD Colt? 3 core, brass tanks - core area is 300mm x 410mm, overall height max (including radiator cap) is 415mm x max width 470mm 'ish' (with side mounting brackets). Inlet and outlet are both on the drivers' side (but the top tank can easily be modded to left side inlet due to the way the tank has been pressed. Image
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Hey guys i have had a go with a few of these radiators you have suggested. I first tried the ka-kb laser radiator and found it was still a bit too high and at very minimum i would have to cut the some of the battery tray away. After i gave up on the Laser one i headed back to U Pull it and checked just about every car on site and the best one i found was the Colt radiator as suggested by Geezer 101. I grabbed the best looking Colt radiator and compared it with the GA one, the core sizes were very similar except it was a 3 core, the top hose was on the wrong side and the overall height was still too heigh. I went to my radiator guy and asked for his opinion and the possibility of swapping tanks but we decided it'd still be too tall. In the end we decided to move/swap the top inlet to the other side, swap the bottom inlet with the GA one, put a goose neck filler in and block off the old filler. The overall price will be $65 for second hand radiator and around $100 for moving of hoses etc. Not sure if i would recommend going down this route as the radiator is still pretty tall but you do maintian orignal hoses.
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

After a bit of research I also found that the Colt radiators have a smaller 28mm inlet on the top tank, but the bottom outlet is 38mm, versus the Sigma's 35mm for both the inlet and outlet.

Here is the listing for the Sigma one: http://www.nationwideautoparts.com.au/o ... 20RADIATOR

And here is the listing for the Colt one: http://www.nationwideautoparts.com.au/o ... 20RADIATOR

If you don't mind a radiator that is wider, you can also go for the 79-86 L200 one, which is 375mm high but 600mm wide, 2 core with 35mm in/outlets: http://www.nationwideautoparts.com.au/o ... 20RADIATOR

Or a Datsun 720 ute one, which is 330x540mm, 3 core, 35mm in/outlets: http://www.nationwideautoparts.com.au/o ... 20RADIATOR
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

71GA

Post by 71GA »

I have now fitted my modified colt radiator to my 1300 GA and i am very happy with the result. The car has gone from overheating to struggling to get up to temp.
In the end the radiator cost me around 190 dollars and works really well.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

I use one from a might max, it bolts onto my galant the same way the stock one did, inlet and outlet are the same, but it's taller. Aluminum one on ebay ran me $75, cools my turbo 4g63 just fine.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

It sounds like the Mighty Max/D50 one you got is the same as our Australian latter model Sigma one, they are the same width as the Galant but a bit taller. What does interest me is the fact that you found an aluminium one! I did a quick search on Ebay but couldn't find one for sale. Do you have a link or do you remember who you bought it from? Thanks.

**edit**

I found these ones, they ship them internationally and they are only $75. http://www.vistaautoparts.com/mighty_ma ... _Parts.htm
They are only 1 row, but are the right dimensions and it is made out of aluminium, which is lighter and cools better than a copper radiator. Is your's like this one?

IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

yup that's basically mine.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

How tall is it from bottom tank to top of cap and is yours only a single core aswell?
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

it's the same size as that one, click the link. single core, taller than a stock colt (exact dimensions are in the link) I bought mine on ebay but the seller no longer carries that model (they didnt sell them often, i was watching the auction and there were 2 in stock for a LONG time, someone bought one so I bought the other)
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

Yer it just shows the core dimensions, not the overall dimensions.
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

Oh sorry about that, yes, it's the same.
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Awesome, now it's time to save up for the radiator then.