Engine options for the Hardtop (4G54 vs. G63B vs. ????)

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
VGJONO

Engine options for the Hardtop (4G54 vs. G63B vs. ????)

Post by VGJONO »

So with the 1.6 coming out of my Hardtop i need to find another motor, I was pretty sure i wanted a 4G54 but now im thinking a G63B to keep the weight down, what are the pro's and cons of these engines?? also if anybody has any other suggestions i would be glad to hear them out (trying to stick with a carby motor for the simplicity)
This car will be doing basic daily driving with some fun at the track every now and then, i only plan on doing mild upgrades, better carby/s, exhuast and extractors. and possibly a cam to up the performance a little.

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
75glnt

Re: Engine options for the Hardtop (4G54 vs. G63B vs. ????)

Post by 75glnt »

Dohc 4g63 n/a with twin sidedraught webbers! (H)

Or I have a g63b :P if you can get it. You can have it... Stupid idea that was :facepalm: lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

75glnt wrote:Or I have a g63b :P if you can get it. You can have it... Stupid idea that was :facepalm: lol
What was stupid?? buying that van, or telling me if i can get it i can have it :P
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Me personally? I'd go for the G63B... I've put this up on a number of my previous posts as to why I'd go down this path - one is engine weight and at first glance look a lot like the G32B belt drive engine. IMO they are easier to work on due to the timing belt, and they are just as easy to service and maintain. And added bonuses like being able to source factory headers off the L200 utes. :thumpsup:
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

75glnt wrote:Dohc 4g63 n/a with twin sidedraught webbers!
a nice way to go but not so simple - you still need some spark and the TC doesn't have a dizzy so must run a computor anyway

the 4G54 can easierly produce good power with great torque but they are a bit heavier than a 63
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

geezer101 wrote:Me personally? I'd go for the G63B... I've put this up on a number of my previous posts as to why I'd go down this path - one is engine weight and at first glance look a lot like the G32B belt drive engine. IMO they are easier to work on due to the timing belt, and they are just as easy to service and maintain. And added bonuses like being able to source factory headers off the L200 utes. :thumpsup:
what makes a 63 easier to work on than a 54 - I cant see how a timing belt is any easier than a chain
as for performace it would surprise me to make anywhere near the perfomance in Hp or Torque of the larger engine
cheater
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

im leaning towards a G63B now for those reasons geezer, i like the way my sedan handles with the 4G32 in it so i dont want to mess with the hardtop all that much weight wise, and the fact that it looks similar to a G32B is good for when the police decide to look under the bonnet (even though i will most likely get an engineer to plate it)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The question VGJONO raised was what are the pros and cons of using the G63B sohc engine. The G63B doesn't require removal of the water pump, replacement of guides or oil pressurised tensioners (it may require a tensioner pulley at some point) or application of any sealant before reassembly. The process is faster and cheaper than the tear down required for the timing chain on the 4G54 (there are some people who use the dodgy 'wire up and feed through' chain replacement method but you get whatever is coming to you when you take short cuts like this...).
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

timing chains are stronger, but the Belts are easier to replace, aswell as easier to buy (check ebay, there are tonnes of listings for timing belts)

I also like the fact that it will be something different, from what i can see people either go the astron or the DOHC G63's, very few have used the SOHC
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I have the headed too :) in my l200. Although I have a suspicion mine was a factory g52.

But I shall clarify my offer of "you get it you have it". I'll text ya :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

geezer101 wrote:The process is faster and cheaper than the tear down required for the timing chain on the 4G54 (there are some people who use the dodgy 'wire up and feed through' chain replacement method but you get whatever is coming to you when you take short cuts like this...).
I guess you are right on a timing chain problem - I had not thought of that but then again I've never broken or replaced a cam chain except on a total rebuild same goes for the guides
I find I wear out rings before cam chains they only last a couple of years doing track work
cheater
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

just go 6g72 if you really want to be different (there is a couple guys stateside doing this already lol) :thumpsup:. I opted for the g54 in my wagon, after I had already replaced the rod knocking g32 with a g52 and now the 2.6l w/ 2.0l head and sidedrafts. Benefit of timing chain....change every 100miles/160km vs every 60k mile/96.5k km. I chose the g54 for the .6l gain I'd have and it would be a direct swap in from what I already had done when I swapped the 4g52b in. Only major thing that has changed with the g54 block I used, is that's a wideblock, so Clutch jobs won't exactly be easy with the KM132 lol.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
A112H

Post by A112H »

I plan on putting a 6G72/4/5 in my spare Scorpion, only problem is I have never seen one finished. Maybe seen 10 started over the years but never finished.
And the 2WD gearbox's are ridiculously expensive. But, even in stock form they would be a good performer and super reliable.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Back in the late '80s my dad had a GB which he put a 4G63B single cam motor in it with a set of factory twin solexs and a GS cam out of a Supporo GSR from NZ. It was our family car that also did a bit of club motorsport. It was also capable of embarasing the current falcodores at the time.

Unfortunately due to Supporo GSR's becoming quite rare in NZ, the carbs and cam are hard to come by but if you can find a aftermarket cam for it and put a set of twin webbers or SU's on it then I think you will find something you'll be fairly happy with. Yes the 4G54 will probably be quicker in a straight line but the sacrifice for it will be the handling.

The GB was fun car that I think my dad regret selling.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i'd go a SOHC 4G63 with a twin carb setup and a custom exhaust.......

The SOHC head runs a pair of simese exhausts ports (two ports right next to each other)
If you had a single exhaust header covering two ports (in a 2-1 format) then "in theory", the car will sound much like a v-twin motorbike (Harley, Buell, hi-po Honda's and Suzuki's)

that way u don't engineer's certificate because its a factory engine.....but still sounds unique enough for people to keep guessing on what you're running :thumpsup:
Built with pride, Driven in anger