What is that hole- Inlet manifold 4G54

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
CraigoT

What is that hole- Inlet manifold 4G54

Post by CraigoT »

On the stock inlet manifold on the 4G54 coming from the manifold into the head there is a small passage that runs under the feed to the 3 cylinder. It has always been massively blocked with dirt and crap and has never bother the engine in 10 years but Just curious is anyone can tell me what it is for? I have always assumed it was for the blanked off air jets in the head but looking closely only the other day it looks like it comes from the water side of the manifold based on the casting shape.

Cheers
***2.6L GC Galant***
A112H

Re: What is that hole- Inlet manifold 4G54

Post by A112H »

Hi Craig and welcome the the site. We are all fans of your work, particulary the TG entry and the cat vids :thumpsup:
The hole you mention is probably a water gallery, why it is there and what it does, I have no idea, lol
Last edited by A112H on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The gallery of which you speak, about 8 mm in diameter and sitting directly under the inlet port is - the infamous EGR gallery. Even if it wasn't blocked it wouldn't do anything constructive. All it does is recirculate a small amount of exhaust back into the inlet manifold to screw up your idle and do some other negative things to the performance of your engine...
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

this is a side view of a one off astron 2 head coolant gallery adapter plate i made for my configuration in one of my cars. but that tiny hole next to the 3rd inlet port from the front of the head, is exactly what geezer says it is, EGR port .

and welcome to the site :thumpsup: