1600cc engine to fit a sigma or scorpion bay

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
theozsnowman

1600cc engine to fit a sigma or scorpion bay

Post by theozsnowman »

I am considering turning the shell of B1 into a Junior speedway car for my young fella once its stripped out of everything as i think the panel rust is too far gone to warrant a rescue...

The engine limit is 1600cc's normally aspirated

If i was looking for an engine and running gear that will bolt up into the chassis what would i be needing to look for?

a 4G32 4G33 or a 4G35?

and how easy is it to source them and also parts etc for them?
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
A112H

Re: 1600cc engine to fit a sigma or scorpion bay

Post by A112H »

4G32 and any narrow block gearbox will bolt right in. Few mods to exhaust and radiator hoses and you should be good to go.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A 4G32 Saturn 1600 is not going to like pushing around a Scorpion but a G32B might cope with it a bit better. The G32B is a lot easier to source for parts and IMO a more forgiving engine to work on. It will have a weight advantage and the compression is up over the chain driven motor. Put a jap 5 speed behind it and turn the Scorpion into a canoe - you might have a half decent zombie track car...
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

Keep in mind its wont technically be pushing around a scorpion... all that will be original is the bodyshell, no doors, bonnet, front guards or boot as they will all be fibreglass, back quarters will also most likely be glass as well...and given it will be a 10yo driving it on clay it prolly wont even get out of second gear :)

(will need to lengthen the pedals and fit a custom race seat as hes a little short squirt and cant see over the dash lol
My 1980 GH Scorpion Restoration Project - The Oz Snowmans Scorpion - Meet B1 and B2 - The Grey Ghost
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

theozsnowman wrote:I am considering turning the shell of B1 into a Junior speedway car for my young fella once its stripped out of everything as i think the panel rust is too far gone to warrant a rescue...

The engine limit is 1600cc's normally aspirated

If i was looking for an engine and running gear that will bolt up into the chassis what would i be needing to look for?

a 4G32 4G33 or a 4G35?

and how easy is it to source them and also parts etc for them?
not sure on how the rule book reads but a much better option than any of the older single cam engines would ba a 4G61 twin cam these also will bolt straight up to a narrow pattern sigma/scorp box and the same 6 bolt flywheels also fit
cheater
theozsnowman

Post by theozsnowman »

thanks... i will have to look into the rules as i know they are in a bit of a state of change currently as theres a few clubs trying to push thru things like Hyundai Excel's and stuff into the class...