carby mods

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
corty240

carby mods

Post by corty240 »

What have you done in the way of carby mods?
cheaterparts

Re: carby mods

Post by cheaterparts »

corty240 wrote:What have you done in the way of carby mods?
as in what ? I run twin 45 mm DCOE Webers on a NA car but they are way to small for the 2.6 even with 41 mm chokes anywhere over 6000 rpm
so the plan was to go bigger and the cheapest way is Quad TBs as 50 or 55 mm webers get a bit pricey
cheater
corty240

Post by corty240 »

I had an old post asking about an fuel pump that went a bit off track with peoples carby modifications so I said I would start this post. If you want to talk other people through how you went about upgrading the carby that's what this thread is about, cheers ted
corty240

Post by corty240 »

Eg fitting a secondary fuel line and jet to a Stromberg and how you did it like what was posted on my other thread.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

removed the carby and swapped it for injection. best move ever!

that said, i had a webber once apon a time, off a falcon and the stupid layout had it round the wrong way. so when i hit the brakes hard the car flooded...

also, stock carby drove nicer and had more torque down low.

/cool story hansel
Insert witty one liner here -->
A112H

Post by A112H »

Billsy wrote:removed the carby and swapped it for injection. best move ever!
End of story.

Playing with carbies in this day and age looks a bit like this :banh:
corty240

Post by corty240 »

Haha yeah fair point guys but some people out there prefer the more classic look or design, eg restorers ECT. I will be injecting soon but until I get my forged engine built and sort out what computer I want to buy it is carby and water/meth injection.
Turbo047

Post by Turbo047 »

NOPE not going EFI!

Not on my car anyway.

An original Sigma Turbo no way. I've got the make the best of what I have. But I have thought of TBI.

Anyway there is no way, what ever I did to the Sigma that it would come close to the Jaguar XJ8 I drive as my every day car. Quad cam 4.0 V8 that is so sweet to drive and fast as shit.

Not that I don't love my Sigma, I do. I've had my Sigma Turbo #47 for over twenty years. But I love to take my Sigma out and KICK COMMONWHORES ARSE'S. Why do Commodore drivers think they have something special? It's got me stumped. I use to flog the 215 Clubsport HSV's into submission but the newer ones with the LS2's are getting harder to beat. Not that I've been beaten YET but its getting close. So I just try to keep ahead of them. The XR6 Turbo's I've come up against are not much sport :-(
"Just remember, if you aren't forced induced, then you aren't SH#T"
GH Sigma Turbo no. 047

Leyland P76 V8 (next for resto)
Jaguar XJ8 Sport (british racing green of course)
Land Rover Discovery II V8 (the daily drive)
corty240

Post by corty240 »

All in a sigma carby turbo, that's good news, what psi are you running and is the carby a standard strommie?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

A112H wrote:
Billsy wrote:removed the carby and swapped it for injection. best move ever!
End of story.

Playing with carbies in this day and age looks a bit like this :banh:
Guess who took the "look, I've got a weber!" path :lol: A carbied car is a different animal to drive than an injected one and it makes all the difference when the carby is doing it's thing properly. There is an art to building carbies and you don't need to be an auto electrician to set one up or fix it when it starts glitching. Plus a well built carby is a thing of beauty to look at...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

A112H wrote:Playing with carbies in this day and age looks a bit like this :banh:
There is always Motorbike carbs...

8o|

Cheers..
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

i would go to a carby for a number of reasons, however as soon as i thought about turbo the carby immediately held me back in numerous areas.
i had the option to put the carby round the right way, re-jet it to suit the engine and get a new throttle linkage to suit. or go efi
they both cost about the same and the EFI was actually quite easy, and worked very well.
Insert witty one liner here -->
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Turbo047 wrote:NOPE not going EFI!
. The XR6 Turbo's I've come up against are not much sport :-(
that must be one well worked over sigma turbo you have there if you can beat an xr6 turbo, seeing as they will dust off a V8 commy without a problem

As for injecting the sigma turbo and keeping a std appearance i suggest taking a look http://www.pattonmachine.com
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

...seen it. It would be just as easy to rip out the injection from a Cordia turbo and reconfigure the single ECI to fit the Strombergs' mounting location (and the extra wiring and high pressure fuel line will definately not look original). Why would you do it - other than because you can? It still won't be as good as MPI and if you were really desperate to keep a factory-ish engine configuration you'd get a Magna manifold and relocate the throttle body to the centre of the plenum so it lined up with the turbo. Anyway this thread is about carby mods!!!?! Stop banging on about INJECTION :z
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

yeah because an extra hose and a few wires would look so more unoriginal than a modified magna mpi manifold :facepalm:

its not about it being AS GOOD as mpi its about it being BETTER behaved than the std sigma turbo carb while look close to original
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust