G63B = 4G63?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
colt89

G63B = 4G63?

Post by colt89 »

I put an add out chasing a 4G6B or a 4G54 and I got a few replies. One guy said he had a well running 4G6B for $250 including the gear box and radiator etc so I went and picked it up. When I got home (after a two hour drive) I noticed that it was actually a G63B. I've never heard of them before but after a bit of reading I read they are kinda similar to 4G6B's...
Am I going to be able to fit this to my 1980 L200 4WD ute? Or am I back to square one? The gearbox attached to the motor is a RWD. If the bellhousing is too small, am I able to just switch the bellhousing over?? I'm getting desperate and can't afford to buy another engine now if this one is wrong :(
75wagon
Admin

Re: G63B = 4G63?

Post by 75wagon »

Read this, if everything chack out fine with both motor and box, there should be no reason why it wont fit.
Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6424

For more posts like these, look here. They answer a lot of questions.
Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS) (UPDATED 21/11/10)
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colt89

Post by colt89 »

Thanks. I measured the bolt holes on the housing, and it seems to be around 33cm from the outer edge of the bolt holes (hopefully it's not wishful thinking...) Guess I'll know when I try and plant it into the engine bay...
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

you have a couple of options. as old mate said read that and see how you go. if they will mate up then go for it. however if they dont one option would be to switch over the bell housings the other is depending on the gear ratios is to double check what your existing driveshaft is like. you may find it will slip into your gearbox combo. just make sure to check that the gearbox you have isnt to long or short. you also need to check the splines. if it looks like the gearbox wont be to long or short then i would take out the drive shaft and see if it actually slips in. no point taking out your existing gearbox only to find it doesnt slip in plus im pretty sure you will have to disconnect it at the diff if you switch over the boxes. then you may have to switch over the gear box mounts if they will swap. i personally think the 4g63 is a better engine in high performance applications. also you will need to check the ratios of the boxes. if its an l200 rwd it will probably be a r5m21 but look at the badges in your engine bay and it should tell you. im not too sure wether they have a id mark on the boxes. then you just need to find out what car the 4g63 is. then look around i think the link posted on the thread "every mitsubishi workshop manual" has the manuals that describe most of the gearboxes other wise google them.
colt89

Post by colt89 »

Hi thanks for the info and suggestions. I read through a lot of those links and was settled a bit! The 4G63 was already out of the 4X4 L200 so I matched up the gearbox that came with the G63B with the 4G63 and it fit perfectly, so it should go into the ute no problem.

I've read about both motors and from what I've read I thought that the G63B was the better motor as it was often used for turbo applications? But then I've also read about the 4G63 being used for performance applications also.... so I don't know.

What I was thinking to do is drop the G63B in for now as I need the ute on the road for work, and then get the bearing pressed back into the the 4G63 and rebuild it. As it's already been honed by the previous owner and only needs bearing and rings apparently. What do you guys think? Will I notice much difference between the motors? Specifically once the 4G63 has been basically reconditioned? And I'd also like to do some perfomance mods in the future once I learn a lot more about Mitsubishi's.

Thanks again for the advice and info guys, you've been life savers! :thumpsup:
woops

Post by woops »

The 4g63 and the G63B is pretty much the same engine. I've found that the G63B are typically a FWD engine and some may have been converted to a RWD style. That's from my experience though.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

they are exactly the same engine generally for example the 4g54 engine willl be released in all countries but renamed the g54b in america. some people say the engines that start with g are the second generation
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

sorry if my last post was vague. my point is that there different names for the same thing