Astron 1 on Unleaded Petrol

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
shmylamen

Astron 1 on Unleaded Petrol

Post by shmylamen »

Hi everyone!

Im sure this topic has either probably been covered already or it might be common knowledge to the community, but i cant seem to find info on it. Anyway....

I have a GH Scorpion im doing up atm, I also use it as a daily driver and am doing a weber conversion with extractors. What i want to know is will it run fine on straight unleaded, or do I have to use the additive?
I ask this because the first month or so of driving it, i put the additive to the fuel and the exhaust stunk really bad of the additive, I stopped using it, smells fine, drives fine, but I want to know if I'm causing any damage to my valves and valve seats????
Again, i know this all probably common knowledge here, but im still new to the whole astron thing....

Cheers, thanks guys!

Ash....
****Current Rides****
1979 GH Scorpion Silver
1980 GH Scorpion Red
1969 Valiant VF Coupe (very long project car)
1999 Toyota Corolla (daily driver)
2001 Toyota Camry "Touring" (Family Car)
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Astron 1 on Unleaded Petrol

Post by 81GL »

No such thing as a stupid question, that how we learn :P

As the astron engines run an alloy head, they are fitted with hardened valve seats.

So no need for additive.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

I'll add to the stupid question. 4G32 is also aluminium head, so again would it also have the hardened valve seats?
i.e. I can run BP98 without the need for addatives? (and maybe advance the base timing a little )
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

no need for valve saver fluid.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shmylamen

Post by shmylamen »

Thanks heaps for the responses guys! I really do appreciate it, now thats one less thing to worry about in sorting out my scorpo!...now to do the centre bearing, replace the master brake cylinder, remove silent shafts, fit extractors, exhaust, weber carb, and fit gearbox with high stall...phew, never ends, oh well, bought my scorpo to get on the road and have since fallen in love with it! Im officially sucked in!
****Current Rides****
1979 GH Scorpion Silver
1980 GH Scorpion Red
1969 Valiant VF Coupe (very long project car)
1999 Toyota Corolla (daily driver)
2001 Toyota Camry "Touring" (Family Car)