Twin DCOE 4G32B manifold.

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Taz

Twin DCOE 4G32B manifold.

Post by Taz »

Just a quick question before i go and get one made from scratch - are there any twin DCOE manifolds for the 4G32B out there? I found a thread here that someone modified a chain drive manifold by grinding out the thermostat or something but was curious if there were any belt drive manifolds already? Ive found 1 chain drive from gem parts and its a steep $500 for something id have to take into a shop to modify anyway (and that lists that its been sitting so long it has marks on it).
Also for those brisbane people, im in Capalaba and am going to take it to Radius Fabrication on smith street - anyone dealt with these guys before/have any other recommendations?
Cheers
Superscan811

Re: Twin DCOE 4G32B manifold.

Post by Superscan811 »

As far as I know, the manifold is the same for both Chain and Belt drive.
I have a twin manifold for a chain drive (not for sale) and tre04z runs a Belt drive with twin 40's in his LC Hatch, so it shouldn't be too difficult to check.

Let you know in a few days.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Cheers.
Yea i read that the thermostat housing is slightly different and fouls on the head and you have to shave the rocker a few mm and grind out the housing which doesnt sound too appealing to me.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

The twin side draft manifolds are the same for the chain and belt drive engines.

"Grinding" the thermostat housing has to be done to allow the choke mechanism on the Weber carbs to fit. Doesn't need to be done for the Dellorto carbs.

Cheers.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Are you serious? thats awesome :D
Now i just need to find a manifold that isnt 500 bucks hopefully although i dont like my odds. Looks like investing in some dellortos was a good decision after all!
Taz

Post by Taz »

the guy at gem auto parts on ebay though strictly says they are for chain drives though, if they will fit a pair of dellortos without modification then he should say so...although being a one off listing it wont matter after i buy it i guess...lol
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

BTW: making this with tre04z for the 4G32

Cheers.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Nice. Looking through ebay now actually someone must of snaked it in the last day or two =(
Now i have to source one or make one still.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

I've modified the standard manifold so it will fit the Weber carbs, along with making it easier to install/remove.

The top pic shows what has been removed to suit the Weber choke mechanism. Why it wasn't done from the factory is a mystery.

This shows the manifold with a DELLORTO carb. No modification to the thermostat housing is required.

The only issue I can see with the manifold is the EGR port, just to the left of the No:3 runner. Most people just plug this up.

Cheers.
kevveker

Post by kevveker »

hey guys, seeing this post reminded me of the years i played with the intake of my 4G32 Galant hardtop.
the motor was 40" over, balanced head work & a mild cam. I worked at a Carburettor service so yes access to this stuff was pretty good.
I tried the follwing set ups
single 45dcoe
twin 40 dcoes
twin factory downdraughts. two types, the cast top type similar to the manual choke single galant carby & the later alloy top type like a sigma carby.
twin factory japanese su set up
Out of all the set ups, for drivabilty, power, smoothness & economy, the Jap su setup was by far the best.
coupled with a 5 speed box & still the taller auto trans diff, it had the tourque to pull it plus when it went into 5th the thing would wind out awesomely.
hope this enlightens you.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

kevveker wrote:Out of all the set ups, for drivabilty, power, smoothness & economy, the Jap su setup was by far the best.
Too true.
That's why I use the Motorbike carbs. Like the Jap SU's, they are a constant velocity style carb and give a greater "all round" drivability.

Cheers.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Have you fitted this yet and got it all to work?