CE lancer track car

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
cheaterparts

CE lancer track car

Post by cheaterparts »

A panel beater mate that painted my sigma some time back and raced it a couple of times picked up another car to add to his stable of race cars
there is already an EH historic car ( NB ) a HQ 308 historic ( NC) and a HQ race car

as he had done a few 6 hour events was looking for some else anyway a CE lancer came along at the right price the car came a bit damaged
it sat around for a while but got picked apart and some new straighter bits went back on - driver side rail , strut tower and the front support

as soon as its a rolling car again it was to come to my shed to have the cage fitted , the car is being built to IPRA spec

well the presure is on 2 weeks ago the car looked like this

but then last week I droped around to see how the progress was going and the rail was not only welded up but painted as well
I told them what to get in the way of tube for the roll cage and went on my way
the K frame went in last week as did the guards , a bonnet and head lights
the inside of the car was already gutted for the cage

the motor went in the engine and will remain a std 1.8 (4g93) for this atm, there is enough work with the cage and some suspention parts to keep us busy getting it up and running with such a short time frame

so when do you think this car will be on the track
it's entered to do a 6 hour at winton on the 13 + 14th of October
being like a sprint it doesn't need a cage so the half cage will do for that event then it will come back to have the rest done

well its a car again and with a vic roads permit drove to my place last thursday and I started the cage
not much of a start but a bit of design work was thought out over a turkey and only one 3 mm plate was welded to the floor

well the half cage still isn't quite finished but close , I had got the rest on the 3 mm plates welded into the floor . Then my mate turned up with a few turkeys and the grand final slowed up the show on saturday

any way today sunday I pulled up the bender and bent up the main hoop , I had already done the measurements and drawn it up

by the way if dont try and bend up 350 grade cold drawn tube with the bending mandrels that come with a cheap hyd bender they arn't up to it nether are the rollers that support the tube
I made up my own mandrels a few years ago that are super tight on the tube and replaced the rollers with skids
the tighter mandrel with a bigger radius holds the form of the tube and the skids dont dent the tube like the rollers did

anyway I got a fair bit fitted up and has a few tacks holding things in place there are still a couple on bars to fit up that wont take to long
and of cause about a 1/2 an hour to weld it all up

cheater
geezer101

Re: CE lancer track car

Post by geezer101 »

Nice work woth fabbing up a roll cage. Going to the dark side with a front driver will annoy some of the puritans but it's still a mitsu. The 1.8 isn't a bad engine either - it can pull the light weight FWD around with little effort. A decent set of pipes on it will help the 4G93 breathe. :thumpsup:
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

great work there mate....must give you motivation for your IPRA sigma surely.....

Just one question tho.......how is a 6hr relay race classed as a sprint??????
Built with pride, Driven in anger
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

geezer101 wrote:Nice work woth fabbing up a roll cage. Going to the dark side with a front driver will annoy some of the puritans but it's still a mitsu. The 1.8 isn't a bad engine either - it can pull the light weight FWD around with little effort. A decent set of pipes on it will help the 4G93 breathe. :thumpsup:
FWD is a bit different to what we are use to but its just a new learning curve
as for the engine we did chat about it he will probably look around for a spare and we will do some playing with that
Scorpma82 wrote:great work there mate....must give you motivation for your IPRA sigma surely.....

Just one question tho.......how is a 6hr relay race classed as a sprint??????
yes the 6 hour reliability is run under a sprint type event - I've done one at Phillip Island , its a pretty full on day

yes my mate was giving me the hurry up on the sigma - he told me to build and engine and get the car around to him so he can do a number on the body again
there are a few spots of rust that needs a bit of attention and a respray is on the cards

He's a bastard to, he said I could enter the lancer with him for the cup day sprint at Sandown run by FFCC . He knows if I do a few laps I'll have to get the sigma going again
cheater
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

sounds like a top bloke....must meet him at sandown one day then.....hopefully ur there also :P

Just quickly cheater....u do engine builds for customers....or just a mates thing?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Scorpma82 wrote:Just quickly cheater....u do engine builds for customers....or just a mates thing?
I sub contract 5 days a week so time is the main issue these days it was easier when I was in my own factory

and the W/Es are always busy doing a few odds and sods - looks like the sigma engine is on the list and maybe a 4g93 for the lancer
as well as some fishing time

so I dont think I'll be looking for any other engine work atm
cheater
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah thats fine....was justy nosing about.....see who can build me a top notch engine
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

btw....the CG lancer ran a 2L engine based on the same block and head.......bit more poke for the Lancer
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

just an update and a few more happy snaps

above this was wednesday this week - they tried and faled to con me into rubbing the car down with them
the car was painted Wed night with assembly work though thursday including pre race prep

above all most finished by lunch time today and was on the trailer to winton later in the arvo
so the plan came together from a car with a bent rail half was through last month to a cost effective track car
that will be running tomorrow
cheater
A112H

Post by A112H »

Awesome, just awesome :thumpsup:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Bugger, you going to use that as a track whip? It looks far too neat to be used for trading paint out on the paddock. How much weight do you think you've managed to shed off the Lancer?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

geezer101 wrote:Bugger, you going to use that as a track whip? It looks far too neat to be used for trading paint out on the paddock. How much weight do you think you've managed to shed off the Lancer?
cant shed a lot of weight building to IPRA spec - all glass and steel panels but with only a race seat and when all the body sound deadener
is removed
+ adding the cage our guess it will be just under the 1000 Kg

I got a phone call a little while ago --- the guys have been having to much fun today
the car is running very well and with there practice out of the way the best time was a 1:52.46 lap on the long track at Winton
that running the engine to 5900 and keeping it in third around the back of the circuit
although Richard thinks it could run into a high 1:40
which is not bad for a stock 4g93 factory settings and stock exhuast

he has done a nice job on the car and yes it is a neat package

of cause it's just practice so he does another good job on my Sigma - he told me to get a rebuild done on my car and he will do the body again

looks like I have to get my CAMS ticket paid up he offered me a drive at an upcoming sprint in the lancer - he is a teasing bugger
knowing I have to get my rocket going if a have a drive
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

I droped around to get a sports report moday morning and the car ran quite well
richard did an hour and 10 min first stint
and Paul did a an hour and 20 min later in the day
there team finish 8th out of over 40 teams with some fairly polished teams in from of them
so over the W/E the car did more than 120 laps never missed a beat
and only a pad change was done over night

both guys were surprised how light an easy the car drives
from a car with a bend rail and shock tower to the track in a month and for about $ 1500
including buying the car and a bit of own own time

the trouble makers have got me keen to get something running again my track car has been out of action for a while - shortage of funds to play

last night I started choping up a very damaged CC lancer I have for the engine ( 4g61T ) a sigma engine upgrade
I had started a new NA 2.6 rebuild for the sigma and had planed to upgrade to a turbo
the 1.6 turbo would keed to car in the same class so it wouldn't matter if it was done though a season

there are a few bits to put away on this car I think I'll be looking for a cheap CC lancer 2 door to build for my self

by the way It looks like I'm cutting some laps on cup day at Sandown in the lancer I'm paying up my licence this week
cheater
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

I got the engine/gear box out of the broken CC 4 door ( it lost a fight with a telephone pole )
The engine fitted was a 4g61T and was ment to be still ok , so the plan was to fit it to my IPRA class sigma
After helping get my mates CE lancer on the track I'm now looking around for a cheap CC coupe
in fact I have my eye on one atm
the plan is to build a lancer to run in the 2001 - 3000 class to run in group 5 events after reading though the rules
I think a CC lancer coupe with a 1600 twin cam turbo could be anoying in the up to 3 lt class

to get the engine out took a bit of hacking at the bent rail

but the engine/gearbox is out on the floor now
so with the other spare bits and pieces that came with the car its a start

in the mean time I'll get the engine up on a stand tear it down for a look see
and do a tidy up on it
maybe build a ligher flywheel and start gathering parts for the build
cheater
ddt

Post by ddt »

My bro had a CC lancer coupe in the late 90s, 1.8L manual and it was a pretty zippy thing- weighing in under a ton, stock. That's pretty darn light for a 'modern-ish' car of that size. Consider that a Volkswagen Polo is 100kg heavier and the new Kia Cerato hatch weighs around 1360kg. Almost 400kg heavier than a CC lancer coupe! :|

So, Cheater, I think i'm a bit confused -if i understand correctly, you are planning on running that 1.6T in a CC lancer coupe but I don't follow what your plans for NA 2.6L build and the sigma are? Surely that 1.6T wont fit in the sigma ??
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

ddt wrote:My bro had a CC lancer coupe in the late 90s, 1.8L manual and it was a pretty zippy thing- weighing in under a ton, stock. That's pretty darn light for a 'modern-ish' car of that size. Consider that a Volkswagen Polo is 100kg heavier and the new Kia Cerato hatch weighs around 1360kg. Almost 400kg heavier than a CC lancer coupe! :|

So, Cheater, I think i'm a bit confused -if i understand correctly, you are planning on running that 1.6T in a CC lancer coupe but I don't follow what your plans for NA 2.6L build and the sigma are? Surely that 1.6T wont fit in the sigma ??
I beleave that a CC lancer as a track car could be built to 900 Kg or close to it even with the full cage.that with 300+ hp could be quite quick
and its also fummy thinking of a CC as being modernish
when I built the sigma as a race car it was 1999 and the car was a 1979 model or 20 years old
a CC is a 1992 -96 car so the first of them is also 20 years old these days in fact in 5 year they could be club regoed as a classic

as for a 4G61 into the sigma its almost a straight bolt in - the gearbox pattern is the same narrow pattern as the sigmas 2 lt box
there have been plenty of 4g63 motors fitted up into sigmas and there little brothers the 4g61 is basicly the same size
I will do another NA build in fact as soom as I get some room in the shed the motor is coming out of the sigma
I already have a head with most of the port work done and the face milled down over 3 mm for some comp
I just have to drop the guides back in and get the seats cut for some OS stainless valves

I have also dug out some double valve springs that were in stock - so the 2.6 NA build will still go ahead

mind you if the CC project goes ahead ( I'm pretty sure it will ) I'm also looking into club reg for the sigma
cheater
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Cheater,

Wouldn't you be better of using either a 4G62 or a 4G67 engine? This way you would be getting closer to your max capacity in class, or is there another reason for using the 1.6T engine.

Nathan
1976 Galant Hardtop
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Nath76LA wrote:Cheater,

Wouldn't you be better of using either a 4G62 or a 4G67 engine? This way you would be getting closer to your max capacity in class, or is there another reason for using the 1.6T engine.

Nathan
4g61 has twin cam 4 valves per cylinder and are pretty well bullet proof - the shorter stroke engine is more revy and will produce less torque lower in the rev range

of cause to fact that I already have one in stock makes a bit of difference as well

of cause the real biggy is the both the 4g62 and 4g67 as a turbo engine running the 1.7 rule makes both engines over 3 lt

the 4g62 80.6 x 88 = 1796 cc x 1.7 --- 3053 cc
and the 4g67 is a little bigger

where as the 4g61 is 82.3 x 75 or 1596 x 1.7 = 2713 cc
cheater
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

so why not run a 2.8L Astron engine??? im sure that's the best option if you want low end torque.....or is weight distribution a considering factor???
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

cheaterparts wrote:
Nath76LA wrote:Cheater,

Nathan
4g61 has twin cam 4 valves per cylinder and are pretty well bullet proof - the shorter stroke engine is more revy and will produce less torque lower in the rev range

of cause to fact that I already have one in stock makes a bit of difference as well

of cause the real biggy is the both the 4g62 and 4g67 as a turbo engine running the 1.7 rule makes both engines over 3 lt

the 4g62 80.6 x 88 = 1796 cc x 1.7 --- 3053 cc
and the 4g67 is a little bigger

where as the 4g61 is 82.3 x 75 or 1596 x 1.7 = 2713 cc

That's right. It's 1.7 x Capacity. I was thinking it was 1.6 x Capacity for turbo cars. I guess that and the fact you have one is a good reason to use the 4G61.
Scorpma82 wrote:so why not run a 2.8L Astron engine??? im sure that's the best option if you want low end torque.....or is weight distribution a considering factor???
I would think the Astron motor would be a lot heavier than the 4G61 and trying to keep weight to a minimum would be a fairly important
factor.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop