LA/LB Door Rubbers

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Cunjie

LA/LB Door Rubbers

Post by Cunjie »

G'day Guys, I recently bough a set of replacement front door door rubbers of Ebay for my LA coupe ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130752266388 ... 1423.l2649 ) and thought I struck a bargain as my current and original rubbers needed replacement. HOWEVER, when I went to replace the rubbers today I struck a couple of problems; 1 - one of the new door rubbers had a tear along the edge, 2 - both rubbers were far bigger than needed by approx 6-10 inches & 3 - the fitted mounting clips didn't match up with the door holes. Luckily I didn't damage my rubbers when I removed them & subsequently needed to refit them when the new ones didn't fit.

I was wondering if anyone else from the Forum had made a similar purchase (at least 2 others had been purchased from the same supplier - MAZDA PHILS ROTARY PRODUCTS RUBBER) - If so have you fitted them & found any similar problems?

I am very tempted to send them back for a refund, however considering I haven't seen or heard of anyone else selling replacement door rubbers for an LA, I may need to keep them, cut them down to size, re-glue them & then make additional holes before refitting the mounting clips in the correct positions.

Frustrated Lancer owner - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
75wagon
Admin

Re: LA/LB Door Rubbers

Post by 75wagon »

That's a pain,
The only dealing I've had with rubbers from that supplier is when 77galantv6 bought rubbers from the same place for his GD sedan. I found they fit very well.
He also bought a new windscreen rubber as well, and that also had no problems fitting.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cunjie

Post by Cunjie »

I too have purchased windscreen rubbers from Phils and they were a great fit. I was surprised to see the coupe door rubbers available and also at such a great price - unfortunately sometimes you only get what you pay for & not what you were hoping for.
Cunjie

Post by Cunjie »

Update - I spoke to Phil today & he now has doubts whether the rubbers were modeled correctly off an LA coupe & perhaps of a Galant coupe instead?

Phil is now looking for an original LA coupe door rubbers to compare against the manufactured copies & if found to be different from those supplied the original/s will be sent off for "re-production". As my original rubbers have now been refitted & are not in great shape, I'm a little reluctant to keep taking them off & on unless for ultimate replacement. He visited a wreckers today where he believed a LA coupe wreck was, however it was crushed just a week or so back - sacriligious for an LA coupe restorer, grrrr

Does anyone have one or a pair of original LA coupe door rubbers they would be willing to send into Phil (Brisbane) for matching & possibly modeling for reproduction? I under the understanding the rubbers would then be returned to the supplier.

Phil is really keen to ensure he produces & supplies the parts we need to keep our cars in near original shape, so there is a clear win - win in this request.
krohny

Post by krohny »

I bought a set of these rubbers too, mine are also too long, as long as he can have them back to me in 2 or so weeks I can send mine to him, I have also been in contact with him to find out what the go is..
Cunjie

Post by Cunjie »

Thanks for confirming it just wasn't my comparison & that it may well be a poor modeling or bad batch issue. I'll call him tomorrow to let him now you are willing to send a set to him & find out exactly how long he may need them. I really appreciate your offer & trust this will end well for both of us and anyone else interested in purchasing a set of rubbers for their coupe.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cunjie wrote:Update - I spoke to Phil today & he now has doubts whether the rubbers were modeled correctly off an LA coupe & perhaps of a Galant coupe instead?
Well it wouldn't be a Galant 2 door, because all of them were minus top door frames as they are all pillarless.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cunjie

Post by Cunjie »

75wagon wrote:
Cunjie wrote:Update - I spoke to Phil today & he now has doubts whether the rubbers were modeled correctly off an LA coupe & perhaps of a Galant coupe instead?
Well it wouldn't be a Galant 2 door, because all of them were minus top door frames as they are all pillarless.
Fair call, sorry but I'm not up to speed on anything other than LAs.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cunjie wrote:I'm not up to speed on anything other than LAs.
lol, that's all good, I know what you mean (I know heaps about Galant wagons and the odd bit about Lancer hatches also)
leen

Post by leen »

Cutting and glue to correct length is very easy also re cutting holes to line up with the old mounts.I have Torana rubbers on my LA 4 DOOR and they fitted fine.Took me about half an hour doing it carefully.
Cazz

Post by Cazz »

Did he get the door rubbers sorted? I'd be keen for a set!
You put your left foot in, You put your right foot in, You take your left foot out and you slide it all about.
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

Does anyone know if he can supply any rubbers for LC Hatches ?
greenlancer

Post by greenlancer »

I'm also looking for door rubbers for my LA coupe. Does anyone know yet if Phil has sorted the problem?
75 LA Lancer 2-door 4G32
Cunjie

Post by Cunjie »

Apologies for delayed respose & update.

I haven't spoken to Phil for several months now & during our last conversation he indicated he would need an original set of LA door rubbers to sent off to his supplier (overseas) to confirm correct modeling.

As for the set I purchased last year, I still have them & they are back in the plastic bags. I will probably cut them down and re glue them , as well as making new holes for the mounting clips.

I'd suggest you give Phil a call and see if he has pursued it any further. I found him very reasonable during the several calls I had with him.