Roll cage plans?

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Pistol

Roll cage plans?

Post by Pistol »

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can give me plans for a roll cage (full or half, doesn't matter) for a 77 LB 4 door please?
Cheers.
krohny

Re: Roll cage plans?

Post by krohny »

Il be getting a cage made for my 2 door soon if that will be of any help?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Pistol - If you are just after a 4-point cage for "show" then by far the easist route would be to just buy a preformed/precut kit from Bond Roll Bars or similar, unless you have the necessary skills & equipment to do it properly. Note that you will probably have to get the car re-registered as a 2 seater.

Nathan - if you are planning to build yours to CAMS spec, then make sure you read Appendix J the latest CAMS Manual of Motorsport ... the minimum design standards for cages increased from the start of this year. http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/10_gen ... 2012-2.pdf (Although if the type of events you are looking at doing don't require a cage, it doesn't have to comply with these regs. Hillclimbs fall into this category, I think.)

This is also worth reading in relation to the new Vicroads rules around rollcages that came in late last year - it's much harder now to legally run a cage in a road registered car .... http://www.cams.com.au/States/Victoria/ ... 75050.ashx

Dave
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Thanx everyone, the cage will be for proper use, but I don't think I want one quite as hardcore as the yellow one pictured. So I guess it's a 6 point Im after, being anchored at the back, at the b pillars & the front. I'm just going to be doing things like hillclimbs etc, nothing overly major..I can get one made, just need some proper measurements/plans..
Cheers. :)

Hope to catch up with you on the weekend Jimmy! :thumpsup:
Last edited by Pistol on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
krohny

Post by krohny »

Thanks Dave, my mate makes CAMS approvable cages so he will take care of that side of things. As for rego I'm still not sure which way to go, I might just get full rego before I start any major mods
SIR

Post by SIR »

Hey Pistol, the yellow one is mine and would be the bare minimum that I would go for if you ever plan on doing regular trackdays at circuit etc, even now if my car hadn't already been logbooked it wouldn't meet the minimum CAMS requirements.
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Thank you SIR!! Crikey, that's a bit scary, thinking of the cost factor involved! Geez it looks good though, and with an evo motor STILL sitting in the Fkn shed, waiting to go in, maybe it would be the way to go...hmmm, thinking time..
Cheers guys.. :thumpsup:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Talk to you about it when i see you next but its all down to what you want to use the car for.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
scooterdave

Post by scooterdave »

Hey Pistol, the advice you have been getting looks sound. However, I would like to offer some further advice as I have just replaced an alloy cage with a 6 point steel cage and moved from AMSAG logbook to CAMS logbook. I am also road registering my car in QLD as well.

If you can get it registered first then I would recommend that as in some states (QLD) are making moves to restrict and/or not approve registration applications for cars with 6 point cages. I guess I will know in a few weeks when I apply to Qld Transport. However, as I am going for special rego it shouldn't be a drama.

I have just the other day passed a CAMS scrutineering inspection on my car that included a safety cage certification. It depends on what classification you are going for. I went for 3C RCO (Classic Rally Car), which allows me to enter club events (CAMS and/or other) and any State round of a gravel rally. It also allows me some further modifications to the rear end etc such as 5 point link. As I understand it, this class does inhibit engine mods such as fitting turbo etc.

Also, whilst I have the cage mostly welded in, I have left some bars (side intrusion) as bolt in. Just in case I run into difficulties with rego. At least I can remove them for the rego inspection and then put them back in latter. That being said the cage has been CAMS certified with them in. I was also advised that as of 1 Jan 2013 special high density padding is required on all cages for ALL events. This is only required within 150 mm of the head or helmet area where your head is most likely to hut the cage. Padding on other areas is optional. I have left off all other padding to maximise room.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

David
Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Wow, thanks for that Scooterdave, the more I know, the better decision I can make when the time comes..

Much appreciated, Cheers.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

I just started a cage in a later model lancer (CE) to be built to IPRA spec - not my car by the way
the car got droped off last thursday I have the 3 mm plates welded in for the 4 points ( Main hoop and rear stays )and intend to have the half cage in tomorrow . I still have to bend up the main hoop , I've pulled out the tube bender and have drawn up the shape

the car is entered to do the 6 hour at Winton on the 13/14th of next month , as it runs under sprint rules the car doesn't need a cage so the 4 point will be ok
as soon as that is over it comes back to have the rest of the cage finished
cheater
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

scooterdave wrote: If you can get it registered first then I would recommend that as in some states (QLD) are making moves to restrict and/or not approve registration applications for cars with 6 point cages. I guess I will know in a few weeks when I apply to Qld Transport. However, as I am going for special rego it shouldn't be a drama.
Be aware though that if you do this, then your registration technically becomes invalid once you put the cage in ... assuming you get caught, of course !