Petrol tank LC Lancer

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
176bob

Petrol tank LC Lancer

Post by 176bob »

Cannot get a feed from the petrol tank outlet on my LC Lancer. I have cleaned the tank,refilled and only get fumes when I try to suck out petrol. I don't know how the tanks are made. Anybody who can help? Much appreciated. Thanks Bob.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Petrol tank LC Lancer

Post by 75wagon »

If you take the hose off the fuel tank, does fuel come out of it?

You need to sort whether the blockage is in the tank or the fuel lines? If you get petrol out of the outlet, then maybe try some compressed air (disconnect the other end first of course)?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
176bob

Post by 176bob »

Yep, thanks mate. I can get a feed out of the tank when I hold it upside down, or sideways allowing gravity to do its job but when it comes to using suction to get a feed there are only fumes. Does anyone know if the feed comes from the bottom of the tank via the outlet which is located on the high side? I'm thinking if that is the case I may well have somehow lost the feed line from the outlet to the petrol in the bottom of the tank. If that makes sense. I have about 20 to 30 litres of juice in the tank .Got me buggered. Thanks, Bob.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

You'd think it would be set up so the tank can empty itself in the position it's designed to be installed in the car.
If I'm understanding correctly, when you take the outlet hose off the tank, nothing is coming out?

I'd be tempted to put a bit of thick wire or something into the outlet of the tank to try to see if there is an obstruction?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
176bob

Post by 176bob »

Yeah thanks mate, I have tried wire,compressed air and various other bits and pieces to try to work out if there is a blockage inside the tank but it all seems to be clear. Petrol flows freely when the tank is held upside down etc and also when I connected another hose and fed about a metre of it info the tank, it picked up the juice OK with that setup but when I went back to the normal hose connection from the outlet to the fuel hose I cannot get any out!!!!! I might go and get a gut full of grog and chop the tank up!! All the best, thanks Bob.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Sounds to me like the fuel pickup pipe has broken off inside the tank
176bob

Post by 176bob »

Thanks mate, I reckon thats the answer. Is there another fix other than opening tank and repairing? Thanks again, Bob.
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

There are some LC lancer fuel tank pics in this thread :)

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6259

I have an LA 4-door tanks which is exactly the same dimensions, so it seems the layout is much the same for all the Lancers.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
176bob

Post by 176bob »

Thanks gaz and others, Really helpful. It looks as though I will have to get the grinder out after a weekend of soaking tank in water to purge all fumes etc. My welding ability won't allow me to put it back together but we have a couple of capable welders up here so they can finish it off. Thanks again for all the help. Bob.
176bob

Post by 176bob »

Thanks fellas, Found the problem. Bloody great hole in the feed line inside tank. I have no idea how it would have got there, can only say that the previous owner must have done it somehow. Anyway, off to the welders. Thanks for all the help, Bob.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Did you end up halving the tank Bob?
176bob

Post by 176bob »

G'day Jason, No mate, took off the upper bit that the outlet pipe is connected to the tank and found the hole in the bend of the inner part of the feed pipe right where it bends to go to the pickup. Welder reckons it will be a shit of a job to repair the hole in the pipe. To reattach to upper bit is not a real problem. Anyway, hope it all goes well. "He is very busy and won't be able to start until next week". At $70.00 an hour he'd better get it spot on. Thanks Jason, regards, Bob.