87 FWD 4g32 into 78 LC lancer

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
RuffDiamond

87 FWD 4g32 into 78 LC lancer

Post by RuffDiamond »

Hi all. H

I have an LC lancer that ive had for 2 years now and have changed from the original 4g36 to a 4g32 setup. Unfortunately the motor now uses as much oil as petrol, so its time to replace it. however the only motor i can find is a fwd 4g32 from a tredia.

Aside from exhaust stud pattern differences i can see on the exhaust manifold, is there anything i should know about changing from an early balance shaft 4g32 to a later model non b/s 4g32?

Will post pics later of initial 4g36-2 conversion.
geezer101

Re: 87 FWD 4g32 into 78 LC lancer

Post by geezer101 »

Hi Ruff, it will bolt in no probs but need to change the exhaust manifold and the thermostat housing (if the tredia is using the same engine as the bottom spec 1.6L cordia, the thermostat housing is at the #1 cylinder end of the head with a transfer pipe running along the head to the rear of the engine) Does the engine look similar to this?
Image p.s. sorry about the pic being over exposed! :$
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

as far as i know the tredia and cordia are basically the same car, just the cordia is a hatchback and a tredia a sedan. For the rest there shouldn't be much differences...
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

Thanks guys. Im probably just going to swap heads to make it fit should it give me too much hassles. Anything i should know about upgrading from the 4 speed box to a 5 speed. some people say it will bolt straight in but others say its a nightmare. I have a box from an ex lancer.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

RuffDiamond wrote:Anything i should know about upgrading from the 4 speed box to a 5 speed.
Yep. There are a few topics here that will help you.
Members here have buillt these topics for just such questions.
Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS) (UPDATED 21/11/10)

Welcome to the forum and happy reading :thumpsup:

Put some pics up of your car. I if not others are certainly interested in what you have and what you are doing to it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
leen

Post by leen »

I have a 4G32B 1600 motor in my LA with 5 speed, bolted straight in.It was all removed from an LC including the complete rear end The only thing I had to do was match the drive shaft and remove the dust cover from the shaft/gearbox end.There are always small lining up fiddles but nothing major.The motor had a 4 speed originally the 5s replaced it at the same time so I had the option to run the 4s if it didnt fit.The LC had race/rally headers so Im not sure on exhaust.Ive since had the motor completely rebuilt and put all new including a new head all parts available and cheap goes very well and 100% reliable.
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

And dave, as soon as i figure out how to post photos i will post pics of the initial 4g36-2 coversion, and pics of paint job (a lesson to all those who try to diy at home with inferior preperation or equiptment)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

RuffDiamond wrote:as soon as i figure out how to post photos i will post pics of the initial 4g36-2 coversion, and pics of paint job
This will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.
How to 'Upload' a picture or video

My only suggestion to go with it is start an account so that you can recall your pics whenever you need them.

I see you are halfway there? You have a profile pic :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

This was the car i bought 2 years ago. Painted with a paint roller. So my faded V green botched paint job is still a step up. 1200cc 4g36. Ewwww.
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

And got to work taking the rust out of the front
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

I managed to get a tin of V-green paint for free so i thought id give DIY painting a go.....

Doing it outside was not the smartest idea. next time i will definately do it indoors. The application would have been ok if it was inside, but i should have prepped it more as it reacted with parts of the old paintwork.

I then managed to find a 4g32 sitting under an old mans carport under a tarpaulin for the last 7 years for $45, thanks to http://www.trademe.co.nz and after a head plane and new main seal and gaskets all around, i put it in.

All the manifolds and carb ect bolted straight up so it was a very stress free conversion, however the reason i was worried about the FWD motor bolting up is due to the abscence of balance shafts. I'm getting the motor today from Tauranga so i will post pics to compare to the picture of the tredia engine bay
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

So i just got the motor and it turns out its a 4g37. Hmmmm. 1800cc is something i would definately be ok with. However, the thermostat is clearly on the wrong side, as i was told the 4g32 would be. However the exhaust manifold gasket looks very similar to mine. What would be the best method of modifying the thermostat housing to suit? Can the head still be swapped out for a 4g32 rwd one?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It can be done but it looks like there's a bit of messing around to prep it for RWD applications...
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/v ... php?t=5444
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

I agree. It looks similar but by judging on that webpage id say id have to stick with the complete 4g37 setup. im thinking just reversing the thermostat housing and running a steel pipe past the head to the radiator. Then i just have the exhaust issue to deal with. That and finding a suitable clutch and flywheel setup
lockie94ralliart

Post by lockie94ralliart »

i have a worked 4g52 with webber and all the goodies ill sell for 350
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

4g52? That is a 2ltr right? Is it a bolt in job? and whats been done to it? Cams etc. The 4g37 has incorect mountings on the block and wont take RWD mounts :( so i will have to use somethnig else.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

4G52 is a 2 liter engine yes. You can normally bolt it in straight away. I know that because the LB/LC lancer hatchbacks use them also. The hatches and "normal" Lancers are quite similar cars...
A112H

Post by A112H »

FYI, In Australia your car would be a LB, LC's were only available in the hatchback shape.
LA's had the "horse shoe" style tail lights. For some reason the LB was available in sedan and hatch shape, which to my eye look like two very different cars.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

A112H wrote:FYI, In Australia your car would be a LB, LC's were only available in the hatchback shape.
LA's had the "horse shoe" style tail lights. For some reason the LB was available in sedan and hatch shape, which to my eye look like two very different cars.
That difference is maybe why we in Belgium/Europe had the Lancer and the Celeste. The Celeste was the sporty sister of the Lancer. You guys call the Celeste the Lancer hatchback...