4G92 SOHC into LA - Too much Effort

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
C_Fernance

4G92 SOHC into LA - Too much Effort

Post by C_Fernance »

Got an LA Lancer here in need of an engine, and managed to score a good deal on a 4G92 SOHC engine that had been used in a FWD rally car. Worked bottom end, forged pistons, ported head, quad throttle bodys, motec ecu and so on for $760, how could I say no. (H) A quick google search showed that the 4G92 Mivec engine can be fitted so surely a SOHC couldn't be much harder. I was wrong. :banh:

First issue is the CAS/dizzy, and the thermostat housing There is no way that all this will fit.

Not a problem I think to myself. I can remove it all, run a trigger wheel off the crank pulley and let the motec control spark through a VR4 style ignition setup and get rid of it all. The thermostat housing at the back of the head can also be modified so it doesn't stick out as far, and then use a remote thermostat.

This ends up leaving the back of the head sticking out about 50mm. Thats about all the room available in the Lancer. Either the engine and gearbox will need to be moved forward, or the firewall massaged slightly, Neither of which I want to do.

Another issue is the crank. They use a 7 bolt crank so it would need a custom flywheel or flex plate in order to use it.

Then you have the engine mounts. There are plenty of holes that could be used on the sides of the block, but none that match up with a standard RWD bracket. You would need to make up a custom bracket that bolts up between the block and rubber mounts.

And the final nail in the coffin......

Whilst it would be possible to get it all in and running with a bit of work, it would be a major hassle to get it registered. I'd have to try and get all the pollution gear hooked up to suit the newer engine, and as it would need an aftermarket computer there is very little chance it would be passed. :(

Anybody want a cheap 4G92???
Torana68

Re: 4G92 SOHC into LA - Too much Effort

Post by Torana68 »

and this was better than a 4G62/3/4 swap how? just wondering why youd go that way?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I'm thinking of going 4G63 anyway, but then engine came up at a great price. Obviously not worth the trouble to try and fit compared to a 4G63, but I've still got myself a set of quad throttle bodies and a motec out of it all which I may end up using on whatever does go into it.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

so there isnt something special about these it was just the price? thats pretty cheap really :)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...