automatic transmission to manual swap - possible?

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
stratosphere

automatic transmission to manual swap - possible?

Post by stratosphere »

have a 1984 Lancer (boxtype as they call it in the Philippines) and it has automatic transmission

would anyone know if it can be fitted with a manual transmission from the same year model car?

the engine is 4g12 by the way...i have an available 5 speed manual from a 4g33 engine, do you think it would fit? what other parts will be needed from the swap?
(aside from the obvious change in pedals and cables)

thank you!
krohny

Re: automatic transmission to manual swap - possible?

Post by krohny »

tailshaft will be a different length, pedal box, clutch cable, hole in the firewall to pass clutch cable through, clutch, flywheel, may need to cut the hole in the tunnel longer (towards the rear of the car) to fit the gearbox in but it depends on the box, and a gearbox mount. cant quite remember if the crossmember is the same for auto and manual.. so maybe a manual crossmember.

that should be about it.. i think
stratosphere

Post by stratosphere »

thank you krhony! :D will be doing this over the weekend hope we finish it within one day :)

any other tips?
krohny

Post by krohny »

not really, just plan it all out first.. though you can usually just wing it like me.. ha ha

its a pretty basic conversion, i guess it depends on your experience level. hope it all goes well..
krohny

Post by krohny »

just remembered a major thing! autos have a park/neutral switch.. this circuit needs to be completed for the starter motor to get power. bridge the two wires you need to or put a switch in the line..