Windscreens and glass

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
DanTurboLancer

Windscreens and glass

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Can anyone tell me if the LA Lancer 2 door and 4 door Front windcreen are the same?

And what about the rear window?

And can anyone tell me if you can still buy them brand new from most windscreen shops?

Or are there any other cars that you can use the glass out of that will fit??

Cheers
A112H

Re: Windscreens and glass

Post by A112H »

Rare Spares only list one part for sedan and coupe front screens, I can't find any info on the rear screen
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/defau ... MITSUBISHI
stealth

Post by stealth »

dan the front window is the same 2dr and 4dr
the rear is differant ,and so are the side obviosly
you can buy all the glass brand new :D
call "PGI" protector glass industryies ,6 quindus street beenleigh 3287 1688
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Cheers Jason,
And wow thats great news, thanks STEALTH!!

My windscreen is all oily or something,
no matter how much i clean it it comes back almost straight away.

Does anyone else have this trouble??
tubby

Post by tubby »

Oily? what does it look like?
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Well i guess it just looks really smeared.
But its very hard to get off.
And glass cleaner will remove it, but it comes back almost straight away...??
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'd say it's like an oily mist.
It coats the screen evenly. Makes me think it might be something to do with the fire wall not being sealed up properly, or somehow the crankcase ventilation is making it's way into the seating buck (technical term for car cabin).

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

"Seating Buck"????
haha getting too technical on me Dave

Well when i think about it the engine had let go,
so pushing out too much oil and oil mist is a likely scenario...
sambamboo

Post by sambamboo »

See if you can source yourself some pure alcohol, my wife's a makeup artist and has it in large containers, and it makes cleaning windscreens a breeze, it seems to get rid of every bit of oily reside ..it may be possible to find them as a wipe too they actually include them when you get those stick on e-tag things.

If you do get a new one, just be careful you don't get a dud Windscreen. when i first attempted getting a new one fitted to mine, they window replacement peeps actually damaged the rubber mounting strip trying to fit it, and it still didn't sit right it didn't seem to have enough bend in one corner of the screen...I told them to remove it and got another from 'Windscreens O'Brien' from memory.

I'm not sure if the rear window rubbers are still available but i seriously doubt it, so be very gentile when you pull it out. (the rear window).
tubby

Post by tubby »

If it disappears then comes straight back it mustn't of wiped off in the first place. oil will wipe off If you want to up the ante cleaning product wise my next suggestion would be acetone (nail polish remover) anything that that stuff doesn't clean you don't want to know about but... It sounds more like a mineral deposit to me. sometimes if you park a car under a rusted car port and it gets dripped on in one spot over a long period it will get a weird shiny residue, when you spray alcohol based cleaners it looks clean but when it dries it comes straight back. Take a picture if you can. Maybe get some glass polish and give that a shot (glass polish can be hard to get hold of though)
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

sambamboo wrote:I'm not sure if the rear window rubbers are still available but i seriously doubt it, so be very gentile when you pull it out. (the rear window).

Good old EBAY mate! :D

Front and rear rubbers are available.

Door seal rubbers are available, for 4 doors
but I havent found any for 2 doors...
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Here are a couple of pics of the windscreen,
it may be hard to pick what im talking about due to sun shining off the glass?

And there is some condensation because i just took the car cover off and the windows are all shut and its pretty hot here...

A112H

Post by A112H »

This isn't much help but my Premier did this for a while when I wasn't driving it. Everytime I cleaned it off it would come straight back. Once I started driving it again it only happened once. I cleaned it up after work one night and took it for a run for about an hour (just making sure it was all good before making it my daily for about 3 months). When I got up in the morning it was all greasy again, I cleaned it up and went to work and left the windows cracked all day, never happened again while I was driving it. It is in dry storage now and I haven't looked at it for about 3 months so I don't know if it has come back.
All I used to clean it was spray n wipe and paper towels.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Mine seems to happen while im driving??

and also comes back if i clean it then leave it sit.

Ive tried afew different types of window cleaner.

Im just not sure if its due to old glass? excessive oil vapours venting? Fuel vapours?
tubby

Post by tubby »

the glass being old wont make a difference. have you had any upholstery done lately new dash mat or the like? sometimes plastic can give off fumes when it is new or relatively new.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Good call Tubby,
But no mate in my case no new upolstery, or plastics.
No glue or anything used recently...

Im starting to lean towards the fact that the engine needed a rebuild that Oil vapours might have been the cause of this...

No one else has had this problem?
sambamboo

Post by sambamboo »

Damn Dan that's some thick stuff alright ...is the whole interior leather? I'm just wondering if its the leather sweating and releasing its oils, not that im suggesting you should strip your interior to find out, but i recon if you had venting problems from your engine, surely you would be able to smell it or at least see it ..If you have a catch can and you take the breather bit off the top do you see a lot of blow-by vapor?
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Oh yes mate the engine was cactus,
ive just had to have it rebuilt.

The reason im asking if its a common thing is im pretty sure i remember the 4 door did it aswell...
But that was years ago, and i had 3 different engines in it.
so cant be too sure.
slimer

Post by slimer »

my rear window has the same problem...i used so many different types of chemicals and it just fogs up/has a smudged look to it too...

trust me i used everything....rubbed it so hard for ages too...still to this day i have no idea...and seats are the same etc etc
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

I have a leak in my heater core somewhere and this happens to me and I am assuming for now it is condensation from the leaking core
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Has the interior been treated with armorall or some other interior rejuvenater like that? This stuff is shite- it vapourises and sticks to the glass, leaving a cloudy residue that is damn near impossible to get rid off. Even after you've cleaned the glass it keeps coming back until it's completely evaporated from the treated interior. Wipe over the treated interior with methylated spirits to remove that lovely, expensive stuff and then use a cheap arse tyre shine (like the $2 stuff you get at the reject shop or cheap as chips). Give the dash etc a really light spray (not on the glass... :roll: )and rub it in with your fingers (don't be a wuss, it won't hurt you!). Using your bare hands will give a way more consistent finish. This cheap tyre shine is a silicone based spray that will keep the interior 'plastic' and flexible. I swear by it and use it all the time when I'm doing the big polish and clean. :thumpsup:
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

Not parking under gum trees (especially not blue gums) are you? If so it the eucalyptus oils that get washed of the leaves and a common issue if you regularly park under such trees.
Regards Blue
krohny

Post by krohny »

i left my lancer in a paddock for about 6 years and this happened to me, mine cleaned off after about 3 hours of scrubbing but it never came back..
as already stated i think if it was oil or petrol fumes you would be able to smell it..