la lancer rally comp and modifications questions

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
slimer

la lancer rally comp and modifications questions

Post by slimer »

i am looking for a bit of help, i have lost my c.d with all my info on it i needed, was hoping someone here could help or point me in the right direction.

1..i am wanting to know what leaf springs i need to lower and strengthen on my la lancer 4 door.

2..want to know what model/year sigma front struts i need for the brake upgrade and what size springs (height wise mostly) i would need to suit it with the rears...wouldnt want it to look like drag/funny car. (also if i need to get a bigger brake booster/master if i use the sigma brakes and struts)

3..are there any steering boxes that are interchangeable with the la lancers....LB's LC's????

4..will a complete LB and/or LC diff fit an LA

On another note, are there any other websites with old lancers? ive only found newer model lancer forums other than this one.
Also does anyone know if there is any old school lancer racing series aboout? i done a search and could only find (what i thought was rare..) gemini series coupes racing series...ive never seen so many gemini coupes in one picture...lol
Reason i ask is i am thinking about having a crack myself at some racing if i am able to enter..

Been looking for hours for my c.d....can anyone help?
Also in need of a few parts for my LA if anyone could help.
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
Torana68

Re: la lancer rally comp and modifications questions

Post by Torana68 »

1..i am wanting to know what leaf springs i need to lower and strengthen on my la lancer 4 door.
Lower? subject says "rally" which would be up not down, but anyway just take what you have to a spring makers (look in the yellow pages) with the specs you want and give them money. Good idea to find out if its for road (1" down) or rally (one inch up) first, the factory springs were set this way.

2..want to know what model/year sigma front struts \
search the old site info is there

3..are there any steering boxes that are interchangeable with the la lancers....LB's LC's????
galants lancers as far as I know will interchange

4..will a complete LB and/or LC diff fit an LA
yep but no point just change the centre.

On another note, are there any other websites with old lancers?
there is a first gen lancer one out there somewhere

Also does anyone know if there is any old school lancer racing series aboout?
nope, try hillclimbs
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
slimer

Post by slimer »

thanks for that, the old site isnt working for me..
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Springs... Aurora is probably the only one who will make up leaf suspension. Adelaide based mob.
http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/index.htm

Steering box? good luck finding a good one... they are rare to say the least :( keep in mind the galants are getting on in age too, so most components like this will be showing their age.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Mr Aerospace

Post by Mr Aerospace »

On another note, are there any other websites with old lancers?
there is a first gen lancer one out there somewhere
www.1stgenlancer.co.nr

I'm surprised you're not on it yet Rog (ditto for a few other guys here!) We'd benefit from your added knowledge, and you would have a better chance finding those elusive parts you're after ;)

Also does anyone know if there is any old school lancer racing series about?
nope, try hillclimbs
Sorry mate, that'd be a great event, but there's just not enough of these cars out there to fill the grid.
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I have GH sigma struts and brakes in both my GC and LC. The LC is boosted brakes and they work a million bucks, the GC is NOT boosted but still pulls up well but if its for racing get a booster. A stock one from a Lancer works fine....my mate has one in his rally car with bigger brakes.
With the GH struts there are 2 types (ive been told) one has the disc's brakes bracket attaching to the strut with 2 bolts and the bracket is like moulded to the strut (this is what I have), the second (more desirable) is a separate 4 bolt bracket that bolts onto the strut (I havent seen this one but been told if you want to upgrade calipers or dics then its easier to make caliper brackets).

LC diffs are desirable as they are bigger and i think they have thicker axels...they are stronger than LA and LB...and like Torana68 said dont just change the centre.....I dont know if the tarck width is different though.

My mate has a LC steering box in his LA 4 door rally car they fit.
He also has Starion struts and brakes (brakes all round) but that was a bit of modifying

Hope this helps

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
slimer

Post by slimer »

your a champion, thanks for that. What about galant parts? do any of those parts it a la lancer? (incase i cant get hold of any LC's)
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Not sure about Galant into LA......Ive got a GC wagon diff in my GC because again thicker axles.
But if you cant get LC parts modify a Scorpion diff. Reasons:
1) They are bigger and had a bigger motor attached to them originally so they can handle power.
2) They come with Disc Brakes standard.
3) They have coil springs in the back (but you would have to change a whole lot of things to put coils in ur LA) but you can just chop all those parts off with an angle grinder
4) They are wider giving you wider track and more stability.
5) Choice of diff ratios, they came in a 3.9 and 4.2 (i think) so depends what you want to use it for.

Is the car for the track or off road rally?

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
dirtjockey

Post by dirtjockey »

Hey, if you are in Brisbane you might want to come and have a look at my LA lancer - it's a rally car and is undergoing a bare metal ground up rebuild - lots of good gear in it i.e. Full KCF cage, Webbers, No 5 cam, 1776 motor, 4.6 lsd, koni suspension etc - will be immaculate from top to bottom - we are spending a lot of time and effort on it - in the next few months it will appear but you are more than welcome to come and see the progress.

send me a PM if interested.

cheers

de
dang

Post by dang »

Mate, We have used Mayne Springs in Albion for the last couple of sets for our cars. They will be able to recommend the correct specifications for your purposes.
2 x LA 2 Dr
3 x LA 4 Dr
1 x LB 4 Dr
2 x 4G32 Twin Cams
slimer

Post by slimer »

does anyone know if the complete sigma front end will fit the la?
the last LA i owned the previous owner said the whoel front end from a sigma (not sure what model) will bolt right into it...subframe and all they reckon.