74 LA Lancer bolt in engine/radiator options

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
75wagon
Admin

Re: 74 LA Lancer bolt in engine/radiator options

Post by 75wagon »

Rokinfreekapotamus wrote:just wondering if it's the same deal for an LB Coupe, or GC sedan??
Yes it's the same for both the GC/D Galant's as it is for the LB/C Lancer Hatches. The GA/B Galant's and the LA/B Lancer sedans have shorter engine bays and don't have the removable radiator spacer. The Astron engine can still be fitted to them, it just a bit tighter.

BTW: Welcome to the forum Rokinfreekapotamus. Why don't you start an introducing post and maybe even a wanted to buy post for the car you're after. There is almost always something for sale on either ebay or carsales or someother site somewhere?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Thanks Dave. Good to know.

Yeah I should do that. I have found a galant body which, over the net looks amazing but the head blown and possibly block is warped. Its in glenreagh which is near my family. Buts it's $1500 it's got ergo but that's no use as the engine is rooted and it's only till December. But the body does look good, which from my perspective is the harder, more expensive thing. I can do the engine work and get parts on the cheap. But I got nothing when it comes to the body lol.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

Rokinfreekapotamus wrote:I can do the engine work and get parts on the cheap. But I got nothing when it comes to the body lol.
hey buds never say never! i didnt know anything about panel beating a car,let alone painting it ??
as im in the process atm is coming up really good and better and easier than expected..just give it a go?? :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sorry this is getting off topic?
Rokinfreekapotamus wrote:I have found a galant body which, over the net looks amazing but the head blown and possibly block is warped.
I have seen the car you speak of.
The condition of the car is amazing to say the least, or so most of them do in the photos.
If the car wasn't so original I might even have considered buying it myself, but I'm looking to modify the next car I build quite heavily, and to me it would be wrong to do it to that one.
I doubt the block would be warped? I'd say they got confused and it's the head that's warped.
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get hold of a replacement head with the number of members who have put Astrons in the Galant/Lancers, I'm sure there would be a few kicking around, maybe even whole motors?

Weren't you saying you were going the Astron route anyway?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Well I did a bit of body work in the sigma I had, resprayed it too. But no where near a level of what I would have liked. I'd do as much as I could, but a professional woul do the rest, and like most o us I'm not made of cash lol.

And yeah I am wanting to go the astron route. I wanna turn it into a little hill climb weapon/sleeper, so the suspension and brakes will get a work over too
It does look too good to not restore it original.

The reason I was worried bout the engine was getting it to where I live. My family are close to it but I'm a few hours away. guess I'll just go have a look and see what the story is.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hi Rockin', here's a engine bay shot of my old LB Lancer hatch. I used a jet valve head (valves welded up), port matched an inlet manifold that was completely void of the EGR valve (it hadn't been blocked or cut off-it simply wasn't manufactured with one, not even the gas port gallery) and a stock carby I modified (air galleries aligned and drilled, derestricted gaskets, polished and deburred internals, secondary throttle cam recurved, 1/4 "fuel inlet) bosch T coil, top gun leads and Lynx 600 series air filter (these air filter elements are prone to shrinking, not really recommended- but looked cool!)Image
RuffDiamond

Post by RuffDiamond »

The 4g32 is a good upgrade, even using the 4 speed box 4g36 carb and exhaust there was a huge increase in power. Literally bolt in and turn key.