74 LA Lancer bolt in engine/radiator options

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
foR

74 LA Lancer bolt in engine/radiator options

Post by foR »

I've done a fair bit of searching but theres no real definitive answer

I have a 74 LA Lancer with the stock 4g33

I'm wanting to swap it out and keep the 4 speed.

What motors will 99% just bolt in? Also what radiator.

Cheers

Jacob
Nath76LA

Re: 74 LA Lancer bolt in engine/radiator options

Post by Nath76LA »

A 4G32 will be your best bet as they came out overseas with them. A 4G52 and 4G54 will go in but don't know what would be required. I omagine you would need to upgrade the brakes and engineered for the 4G5# motors.
1976 Galant Hardtop
foR

Post by foR »

Thanks man. I really just want to know including the 4g32 if anything else will just bolt in and 99% work.

This site has recon'd belt 4g32's for sale. Do they make 4g32's in chain? Should I bee looking for a chain or just use the belt they have advertised. My 33 is chain.

Jacob
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

have a look in my build thread, i have a 4g54 turbo in my LA, if you are going a 1600 then any galant or lancer standard radiator will be adequete. how ever.... 2.6 astrons do bolt into the engine mounts, and rear gearbox mount but there is a fair bit of fiddling around to do the conversion that requires the following:

-changing the alternator wiring from rh side of engine bay to the lh side, also converting from external reg to internal alternator regulator.

-fitting a sigma radiator which requires 'notching out the castor bar supports under the rad, getting the radiator outlets modified to clear sway bar(bottom outlet) and distributor(top outlet) see my build thread for photos
also when fitting a astron to a lancer there are issues with overheating, im running a sigma radiator with twin 8 ich thermos on the front side and a galant fan on the water pump, again see my build thread.

if you get a narrow block astron it will bolt up to the standard 4sp but that gearbox isnt worth bothering with. find a narrow astron engine and matching gearbox, use a lc lancer 5sp rear gearbox mount and it will bolt in.

if u use a wide block astron gearbox and engine the gearbox mount will bolt up but you will have to shorten the drive shaft a bit like i had to as the rear gearbox extension housing is longer.

4g32's are a direct bolt in, 4g63's are not, as the cas hits the fire wall and the gearbox hit the drag link.

what do you want out of you car?? is it a daily driver or you want to modify it?

the gearbox tunnel needs cutting larger around the shifter hole as the 5sp box is larger, again see my build thread as i made a buldge to cover the larger hole.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Yes the 4G32 does come in chain type as well but as they are the earlier type 4G32, theyare getting a bit harder to find. Also people hold onto them as the factory performance cams (#4 and #5) were originally only made for the chain type motor only, but I believe it is possible to get an adaptor to fit these cams to the beltdrive motor as I have seen it been done overseas in another forum .

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

4g32's are a direct bolt in, 4g63's are not, as the cas hits the fire wall and the gearbox hit the drag link.
Astron,
I take it you're talking about the 4G63 twin cam motor. I think the 4G63 single cam maybe a bit easier to fit. My dad fitted one to his old GB Galant and also to a LB Lancer (this was about the same time as the Galant GSR's were first released with the twin cam motor), with factory twin solex carbs and GS cam from a Early Supporo GSR, and for memory was fairly straight forward and didn't require to much mucking about.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
woops

Post by woops »

Nath76LA wrote:
Astron,
I take it you're talking about the 4G63 twin cam motor. I think the 4G63 single cam maybe a bit easier to fit. My dad fitted one to his old GB Galant and also to a LB Lancer (this was about the same time as the Galant GSR's were first released with the twin cam motor), with factory twin solex carbs and GS cam from a Early Sapporo GSR, and for memory was fairly straight forward and didn't require to much mucking about.

Nath
I don't know where these people get the impression that the 4g63 engine foul on so many parts.The 4g63 SOHC engines fit in no probs as they are the same dimensions as the 4g54 from the engine mounts to the gearbox face and actually shorter than the 4g54 engine so there is more room at the front of the engine. That is the same for the DOHC engine but people move them forward with custom engine mounts to have the crank angle sensor clear the fire wall. All you have to do is use starion or l300 4g63 steel engine mounts and it bolts in.

The biggest problem with having the 4g63 engine as a straight bolt in is that you have to find one from a l200 ute or l300 van as carby models. They aren't as easy to get as the Astron 4g52 and 4g54 engines so people just go for the sigma. Otherwise if you go for one of the fwd 4g63 engines you need to change the engine mounts and flywheel to suit the rwd configuration. I also think that the FWD engine were all multipoint so you either use the stock computer or fit an aftermarket one. Also the twin solex option for the 4g63 is not really advised as they weren't released here so are pretty rare. The other 4g63 option is one from a cordia or starion as a turbo option but they aren't so easy to fit a bolt in package and you still need to mess about with the fuel injection.

I much prefer the 4g63 engines personally as I personally believe they are a much better engine than the Astron engine but unless you are going for a twin-cam option then it's not worth the hassle unless you have a engine package ready to go then it's not worth it. Also the twin-cam option isn't for those just wanting something that you can do in a weekend.

If you only want a very small upgrade then go for a 4g32 1.6L engine so you don't have to worry about changing brakes at all. If you want a better upgrade but is almost as easy then go for a Aston 2L or 2.6L but it would need approval by an engineer and swap the front brakes to GH sigma struts and brakes. You would also need to change the exhaust to extractors which clear the steering box or the cheap and crappy option of a 86 or 87 sigma exhaust manifold with the cat converter on it as i think it'll also fit due to it's different design (I can check this tomorrow as I have a 4g52 engine in my GC coupe that already has the extractors on it so i can try a cat convertor manifold i have laying around here). That will give you more power at the wheels but will decease you handling due to a relatively big heavy engine over the front wheels.

The 4g63 engine is a lighter engine but a lot more work if you go for a twin cam engine. I need to update the RWD engine conversions thread that is in the Engine section of this forum with the further knowledge I have gained in the past year or so to try and prevent these engines getting asked so frequently.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
foR

Post by foR »

Hey thanks for all the great replies guys. The 4g32 sounds like what I want to do then. No engineer reports no pillaging parts off other cars. All I want is to bolt it in and fire it up.

As far as chain vs belt 4g32's can someone confirm I can get aftermarket cams for the belt? Other than that if your all confident it's a straight swap the only real difference is displacement then it's settled :)

Has anyone felt with that engine site before?

Does anyone know of an engine Rebuilder who had experience with early 4g's in Brisbane.

Jacob
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Yes mate a 1600 is definitely the easiest bolt in approach!

Woops, i have recently seen a VR4 Twin cam in a Galant,
Without the firewall being modified,
Yeah it fits, but no way would it get passed for engineer
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's something no one has picked up on yet. foR is showing the New Zealand flag as his location. Didn't you guys get Sigma's with Carby 4G63's over there?
Have you looked at this option?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Woops,

I think you have misunderstood me of what I meant because of how I have worded it. Sorry about that.
What I meant was that I was guessing that Astron was talking from his own experience with the twin cam 4G63.
I myself can't talk about the twin cam 4G63 as I haven't had any experience with it, but do know the single cam should go straight in to an LA because of my dad doing it previously in a GB and LB many years ago. Yes the 4G63 twin carbs and GS cam are hard to get because they were never sold in anything here. They used to be fairly easy to get in NZ about 20 years ago, which is where my dad got the 2 sets of carb's and cams from, but unfortunatelly are quite hard to get over there now even.

Jacob,

You could do the same as what I plan to do. I have swapped the 4G33 for the 4G32 ( with twin solex carbs) but may later down the track go the 4G63 N/A twin cam and gradually upgrade the the brakes and suspension for it.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
foR

Post by foR »

Sorry Dave I'm in enoggera Brisbane :)

Ive heard rpw in Perth do some great work on older 4g's but that's a fair way from here..
foR

Post by foR »

Nath76LA wrote: Jacob,

You could do the same as what I plan to do. I have swapped the 4G33 for the 4G32 ( with twin solex carbs) but may later down the track go the 4G63 N/A twin cam and gradually upgrade the the brakes and suspension for it.

Nath
So you had no problems just bolting the 4g32 in? Is it a chain or belt?

Do the 32's come stock with twin solex's? (both chain and belt?)
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Here's something no one has picked up on yet. foR is showing the New Zealand flag as his location. Didn't you guys get Sigma's with Carby 4G63's over there?
Have you looked at this option?
Actually I did after my second post. That's why I mentioned about the twin carbs and cam from the Supporo as I assumed that Jacob was still living there and would have more luck than us trying to source them but unfortunatelly it seems he's in Brisbane.

Jacob,

The only person I could think of up there that might of had some experience with the early 4G32's or might know someone up there would be George Sheperd.

Here is his web site
http://www.gsarallyteam.com/index.html
1976 Galant Hardtop
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

So you had no problems just bolting the 4g32 in? Is it a chain or belt?

Do the 32's come stock with twin solex's? (both chain and belt?)
It 4G32 went in fairly easy.
It's a belt drive unfortunately.
I don't believe the twin solex were sold on anything here unfortunately but were overseas e.g. the 1600 EX Lancer's (think they were early GSR's as I had a set of one that was at a wreckers here in Sydney) Galant GTO's and several others. Even though they weren't sold on anything here they do come up for sale fairly regularly. Even though they probably aren't as good as Webbers, Usually they are a bit easier to try and get a hold than trying to get a webber manifold ( yes everybody, I know there is one on ebay at the momment) and are bit cheaper.
1976 Galant Hardtop
foR

Post by foR »

You say belt drive "unfortunately" what's so bad about them? Just the lack of aftermarket can support? Surly you can get some made to spec
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Only because of the factory performance cams are only for chaindrive. but I'll probably go after market cam any way.
1976 Galant Hardtop
foR

Post by foR »

So you can get cams for the belt motor?'any suggestion as to where to buy?

Thanks guys i think that pretty much answers everything.

Keep the 4 speed and bolt in a 4g32 :)
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I'm not sure myself where you can get one but think a few people on here do know of a couple of places.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

I've had my LA 4 door for 12+years now. I bought it with the intention to jam a 2.6 in it straight away so only ever drove the 4G3x once and was less than impressed. The narrow block 2.6 bolts in 100% except for the exhaust. I had some genie (?) extractors that fit, but I think normally only custom pipes to get around the steering.
It has run a plethora of different driveline combos over the years, but the most fun was when it was N/A with twin 45 DCOEs and otherwise 100% stock! (brakes, suspension, 4 speed gearbox, diff etc!!) My daily drive at the time.
Everyone has a different idea on what makes a 'good' swap - be honest about your budget and goals for what you want. Also speak to an engineer. The 2.6 N/A swap was only just legal when I got it done. The codes may have tightened since.

I think it will be hard to go past a 4G54 for bang for buck conversion.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I think it also depends on what you want from an LA. The 4G33 is a dog of a motor standard. With a 4G32 there is a definate increase in performance over the 4G33 while still being light in the the front end and a lot of fun on the twisty stuff. I've lost count how many times in the past I've left a lot quicker cars in it's wake through a twisty bit of road which is what I love about the LA's and the reason for me to buy my current one. With a good set up with the motor it is possible to get quite good performance. I've heard that the works cars used to put out about 150 bhp. Not bad for a 1600cc motor.

As for the 4G54, it has got the performance over the 4G32 in a straight line but is a lot heavier, would need the brakes and suspension upgraded and would most likely need to be engineered.
1976 Galant Hardtop
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Nath76LA wrote:As for the 4G54, it has got the performance over the 4G32 in a straight line but is a lot heavier, would need the brakes and suspension upgraded and would most likely need to be engineered.
I know it would have to be engineered.
I looked into doing this with the GD sedan project (which has now been replaced with an LC lancer hatch).
The engineer said to fit a 2.6 the car needs to be over 900kgs original weight.
Also needs to be fitted with the braking system from the car the 2.6 comes from (otherwise it must pass a brake teat to prove it pulls up well enough). This is in NSW Australia. Things may differ in other states, and most likely do.

What does an LA weigh?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

In my factory workshop manual it says 830kg for a 4G33 4 door and 805kg for the 2 door. Don't know if that's with liquids or not.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

Different states have different rules. I snuck the N/A 2.6 in with no suspension or brake upgrades in QLD. The handling was not significantly affected (though I did move the motor back 40mm on custom engine mounts eventually).
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Different states have different rules.
Yeah NSW are pretty stringent.
1976 Galant Hardtop
Splatmarker

Post by Splatmarker »

I have had my 4g32 bored out to 1800 with flattop toyota pistons, fully balanced ground cam and dialled in at the engine shop. Feeding it will be a 40mm recoed sidedraght delorto on a lynx crossover manifold. Will be bolted up to a lc 5spd. the front brakes are sigma 2 and the rear 9 inch galant wagon drums.
I hope it all works !!. This is for my 74 2 door lancer.
leen

Post by leen »

Cams for 4G32B ARE FOUND ON WEB SITE http://www.camtechcams.com.au/ hope this helps ---
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Hey all. Resident newbie here,
Im looking at gc and lb lancers. I've got a couple spare sigma engines. I noticed this thread is for the LA lancer, just wondering if it's the same deal for an LB Coupe, or GC sedan??
Any help would be sweet
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Hi newbie! There's a spacer that holds the radiator in place on the GC. Yank it out and remount your radiator back where you removed the spacer. And in goes your siggie motor! As for the LB, I haven't had a look in the engine bay but you can! I am over simplifying the engine install. You'll get stacks of help from the crowd on this site, I'm learning something new every time I log on from these guys (not being gender specific). Welcome aboard! :thumpsup:
Rokinfreekapotamus

Post by Rokinfreekapotamus »

Great, thanks very much geezer101.
Hope I can get a fair bit of help. I used to own a sigma, as did my brother. He also has a scorpion. So when it come to the engine I'll be fine with that, but when it comes to galant or lancer I got nothing haha.
Hoping I can get it to blast my AWD magna, and my bros starlet turbo out of the water haha.

Always loved old cars, especially Mitsubishi's