La diff and front brake questions

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
slimer

La diff and front brake questions

Post by slimer »

Couldnt find any info that helped me.

I want to do a remote brake set up on my car, should i go a 1 inch master (same as a VN type commodore) and front discs and calipers off a commodore too?
Has anyone put front discs and caliper on to their lancers? I have sigma front struts in my car if that helps answer the questions.

Also does anyone know what is a good strong diff to put under my car? (i know of the hilux diffs, just after a cheap-common diff), ive got about 250rwhp so would a series 3 RX7 diff cut it? i think they are about 26 spline axles. I would preffer it to be LSD but if not, its no big deal. (i just dont want to get stung picking up a cheap diff only to find out they can no longer get parts for etc if you know what i mean).

Any help would be great..

Ill be selling my 4 doors off my green lancer soon if anyone is interested. (complete with window etc)

Steve
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
DanTurboLancer

Re: La diff and front brake questions

Post by DanTurboLancer »

I am running a Nissan Patrol 3/4 inch master cylinder.
Starion front disks and calipers.
was running Sigma rears,
now has the Patrol rears to suit the diff and i thougt i was going to have to run a brake Bias valve, but it works well.
passed a rego brake test, just locks slightly in the last metre or so.

Astronturbo77 may be able to help here with the commodore front brake conversion, i will direct him here for a look.
But yeah the Commo Master cylinder, front brake set up sonds the goods.

Would be easy to consider the Borg Warner Diff from a Commodore.
you get the matching brakes and Stud pattern.
They are everywhere, so finding a LSD out of a V8 wont be hard to find.
Strong and reliable.

All sounds pretty good Steve, let us know how you get on.
Take plenty of photos for us :thumpsup:
slimer

Post by slimer »

yeh i will take pics for sure, help other people wanting to do the same thing.

Thanks for the help hey, greatly appreciated.

Dont know if i want to do now, use the same set up as you or go all commodore.
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Well my set up wasnt done by me.
It came in the car.

The engineer made the old owner fit the 3/4 Master.
He just fiteed the Starion gear because it fits.
and i fitted the Patrol diff.
I will be eventually going back to Sigma or Starion rear disk brakes.
As i cant make an adaptor plate because the 6 - 4 stud pattern doesnt work out.
Also atm it is a mixed combination and without measureing all the bores and Volumes and working out all the hydraulic formulas The set up might work, but it probably isnt the est.

Personally i would go all commodore.
Then you would definitely know it all is made to work.
its all easy to find equipment.
Cheap to find replacements
Bigger brakes all around
And going to 5 stud will give you stronger studs for power.
Plus there are so many wheel options

But upto you mate!

Actually 77GalantV6 has a commodore set up in his, he may be able to help here too!!!
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

my setup is only a sigma gsr brake set up in front and rear
but with a commo borg warner diff so cant really help you out.

but like dan said, if you go commodore there are so many upgrade options from standard
when/if you decide you want more stopping power and the availability of parts
and the price would make it an awesome option.
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey mate, didnt see this thread till dan sent me a pm :thumpsup:

I have played around with commodore brakes on GH green struts for my la lancer. I modded a pair of VN/VP disc rotors to fit on gh struts, the disc go onto the sigma struts with out any machine work but the stub axel isn't long enough to support the outter bearing on the stub and the wheel bearing nut is only on by about two threads. I got dad to machine the front wheel bearing 'cup' step further back so the wheel bearing nut did up with enough threads and the bearing was supported on the correct part of the stub. I also brought a vn wheel bearing kit and a Gh wheel bearing kit. The bearings are exactly the same BUT the commodore uses a different rear seal to hold the wb grease in, so we also machined the rear seal diameter out to fit the GH seal (to use a whole GH wheel bearing kit). The only problem with the commodore discs is that the caliper bracket looks very trickey to make up, mainly because of lack of room between the disc and strut, i havent done anything as yet with making the brackets, but dad reckons its "dobale'.

The reason i stopped with the commodore conversion was for a couple of reasons
- i wasn't sure i could get the right wheels i wanted in a commodore stud pattern of 5x120 PCD, but then decided to run commodore 15x7 interceptors.
-I decided if i was going bommodore brakes i would use VLT rotors and VT twin spot calipers, this is probably the way i will be going, as i would consider selling the modded Vn discs, single pot calipers and new wheel bearing kits :thumpsup:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
SIR

Post by SIR »

I had a series3 rx7 diff to go in my LB it is too wide stock and would need cutting down. It is only 26 spline so not the greatest thing strength wise and LSD are hard to get hold of and very expensive, only thing going for them is the stud pattern and range of gear sets. I ended up getting an early 929 (rx4 style car) diff housing and fitting it with 28spline axles out of a rx5/4 and using rx7 series3 centre modifed to carry the 28spline spider gears, still no lsd's available so went for a full spool centre, a lot of mucking around.

Chances are you will need to cut a diff down if you want something bullet proof the commo diff like others have suggested is the way to go. R31 skylines rand the same diff if you can get hold off a silhouette diff they are 32spline and have factory LSD and 114.3x4 stud pattern.

I found this picture I took of the diffs top is stock lb sedan, next is 929, third is rx7 series3 and some measurements, r31 diff is 1464mm is will still need to be cut down and resplined but because the axles are so big it should still be strong.

LB Stock Width = 1330mm wheel mounting faces
929 Width = 1420mm wheel mounting faces
RX7 s3 Width = 1480mm wheel mounting faces

LB Stock weight = 44.4kg including drums
929 weight = 63.8kg including drums and mounts as pictured
RX7 weight = 54.1kg discs on but no calipers

MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

I run NSX rotors with commodore twin pot callipers, commo 1" master on a GH sigma booster and GH solid rear discs on a ford 9" diff in my LA. Works well and fits behind 15" wheels.

I made a web-page years ago with all the guff on the front conversion. I think Hoonboy may have it hosted somewhere on the interwebs now.
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

I can recommend that the Mazda diffs are strong (550hp strong enough in turbo rotary sports sedan) with a spool (mini spool I think)
Lots of ratios available from 3.7 to 5.1 ish I think ... out of the light truck series of Mazdas

Lindsay