Gear box convertion .... Is it needed ????

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Lblancerhatch

Gear box convertion .... Is it needed ????

Post by Lblancerhatch »

:roll: was wanting to know if it's worth changing the gear box in lb lancer hatch ... I have done a far bit to the motor like port and polished head bigger valves ect ....and hoping to get to the 130hp atw (H) .. Will the box hold or will I need another like a celica 5 speed or something .. And how would I go about it thanks for any help u can give :thumpsup:
DanTurboLancer

Re: Gear box convertion .... Is it needed ????

Post by DanTurboLancer »

How are you planning on driving the beast?

If you are planning on enjoying it, but showing the 30 year old drivline the respect it deserves,
then you can enjoy many years of motoring...

If you are planning on thrashing hell out of it, then Gbox, Tail shaft and diff upgrades.
:thumpsup:

Check out the Driveline section and they have a sticky about doing Supra conversions, which would be basically the same as what you are looking at :)

But tell us more about your plans
leoca

Post by leoca »

Lblancerhatch wrote::roll: was wanting to know if it's worth changing the gear box in lb lancer hatch ... I have done a far bit to the motor like port and polished head bigger valves ect ....and hoping to get to the 130hp atw (H) .. Will the box hold or will I need another like a celica 5 speed or something .. And how would I go about it thanks for any help u can give :thumpsup:
I am a little unsure of the saturn manual gearbox strength but I am sure that they are very strong, and have been in a car with one coupled with magna injected 2.6..even a 4 speed!.
That would have had 90KW at least, so i think you are right.You may have to change your clutch.
Also..as above depends how you drive it.Cheers
Lblancerhatch

Post by Lblancerhatch »

Thanks all ... I was planning motorkana work for her as well as a street driven car so it will cop a thrashing a fair bit was given the race style in and out .. Make it a two seater flares front spoiler heaps of suspention work :thumpsup:
stealth

Post by stealth »

in that case get yourself a supra g/box as the jap 5 speed WONT hold abuse for long
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !