Rim and tire size please check

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
audrei

Rim and tire size please check

Post by audrei »

Hi guys, I've been reading the forum for quite sometime now, and finally I've decided what car to find and have it. Its a lancer 1978, a nice project car.

I'd like to know whats the ideal rim and tire size for this. I have here a sample, I am not sure who owns this, but this rocks! I'd like mine to look the same.

Any ideas or a help from the pros rather. Thank you so much!
Nothing beats what they have in the 70's and 80's.. Here I come..Towards rendezvouz!
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Re: Rim and tire size please check

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Ideal depends on what you want to use it for.
Classic original look 13". Or if you want a street/tougher look maybe 14" or 15" to keep it period.
Personally I have a GC Galant with 13x5.5 all round running 185/60 R13 and these are great for every day driving and they loook good too (when i polish them). But on my LC Lancer I have 14x6 front and 14x7 on rear. They are Bathurst Globe so the rear's have a bit more dish than the front and I like that.

It also depends on what style of mags you want to run. Like something period such as Minilite's or Bathurst Globes.

No perfect size sorry. All depends on setup and personal preference.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I think offset is more important then size. The rims on my wagon are 13x6, I've got 205 60 13's on them. The wheel track is 6 inches wider then standard. I rubs the tires on the guards every now and then, but it looks cool with the wheels filling the guards. Have a look and decide for your self.
See how much further my wheels stick out then the Galant behind it? I think it looks cool, but it is causing problems for me as I'm looking at trying to lower it at the moment and it's looking less and less likely I will be able to without flaring the guards (I don't want to) :@

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

It will really all depend on what you want to do with it,
But here is what i was thinking.
If you goto a 14" or 15" you can run bigger brakes.
Then you can use the Sigma Front suspension and brake disks and calipers which is a very common upgrade.
15" is a very common size, so you can you can find rims and get tyres really easily.
If you run a lower profile tyre that will allow for your Outside Diameter to match the stock OD,
so it will keep your Speedo matched.
And lower profile tyres will help handling and they look good.

But check what is the biggest you are legally allowed to go over size from the factory Wheel Diameter with out having to get an engineers approval in your area (state/Country), becasue that may be a factor to allow for, money wise and legality wise...

But if you want to keep it stock, a nice set of 13s will look really cool also :)

Just some ideas
Hope this helps at all
audrei

Post by audrei »

Thank you so much guys! I think I'd go for 13, but with wider wheels.
What do you think is the rim and wheel size of the blue one above?
I'll post some pics next time. To gather opinion from you great Sires!
Nothing beats what they have in the 70's and 80's.. Here I come..Towards rendezvouz!
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

looks like a 6 x 13 , Minilite copy, Enkei made them as did a large number of companies over the years, google it and youll find them
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

I would have thought 14x6, they look like they fill the guard just a little more than 13's would, but its hard to tell.

Also just a note Dan, I have the sigma brakes on my GC and I run 13" wheels.....just depends on the off set, because i have another set of 13's which just hit the calipers.

Cheers Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Cheers Matt,
yeah i had a set of 13s that hit the Calipers too, so i thought go safe with 14s plus,
But good call!
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Yea its minimal clearance but its there.....they are ROH Wildfire rims, info from the guy at the tyre shop said they are "genuine looking 1970's street machine mags" not the mag but a tuff car lol. I like them, but going 14" Bathurst Globes for my LC and possibly even 15" sigma turbo mags in the future if I can find some when I have some money.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

The rims on the blue car above I would guess at 14x6.5 and about a +20 offset. IMO
rob020

Post by rob020 »

hey,

matt, i got those bathurst globes on my LA and i gotta say, they are my favourite old school rim, second only to simmons b45, but im not made of money.. mine are 14x7 all round though, my coils sagged 2 inches on the drivers side and it only just scrapes the guard, the other side looks like it needs to be lowered 2 inches though, so id say the tyres are just about the largest you could fit on a lancer.. lol :thumpsup:

tyres are 14" 185/70 front, 185/75 rear

my LB hatch has 14" 195/60 front 215/60 rear on cheviot "snowflakey/meshey" wheels off a commodore, but i havent driven it yet, and im sure its not std ride height (what is the std ride height?) so i cant comment on whether it scrapes or not

cheers,
rob

just used a tyre calculator... LA tyres are only 25mm front and 19mm back taller.. who'da thunk it?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

appliance or western 14x6 0 offset wheels 205 70 14 tires if I remember. They bent the front fenders

OSCAM 14x6 +15 or so offset 195 60 14

watanabe rs-8 14x6 +13 195 60 14

Konig Rewinds 14x7 -10 I believe. 195 45 14

compomotive 13x11 unknown offset with slicks. I put em on for shits n giggles.

73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
A112H

Post by A112H »

I would love something like the Konig Rewinds 14x7 -10 but in a 16" for the coupe.
tre04z

Post by tre04z »

guys think real think new i've got 17x7 on my lc coupe just get your offset right and you could put 9" on the rear i run a 205 45 17 or a 215 40 17 depends on the price when i need new ones. offset offset offset thats all it takes. get it wrong and you'll scrub guards, get it right and you can have 18x7.5 and still drop it 2".
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Yea but LC's have massive rear guards compared to the LA and LB (not hatch).
I bought a set of bathurst globes. 14x7 rears they fit with inches to spare........i put 245/60 R14's on the rear to see what it would look like and they fitted with room to spare.
Offset does play a role but i wouldnt just be wanting to get the biggest tyre possible under there, you want something that looks good and preferbly period (which i think is what Audrei wants) and also performs well.
Honnestly I dont think u need anything bigger than 6" wide rims unless ur going for larger diameter than 15" or you want to be able to put massive horse power down to the ground.

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"