Anyone done a hydraulic clutch conversion to a lb?

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
city hunter

Anyone done a hydraulic clutch conversion to a lb?

Post by city hunter »

I'm going to be doing it pretty soon. I'm going to try and use a pedal off a starion, but I figure I might as well ask here first and see if anyone else has done it, and what pedal setup they used?
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
leoca

Re: Anyone done a hydraulic clutch conversion to a lb?

Post by leoca »

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=583

..Am pretty sure it wont be as easy as this as was done for a Scorpion.
My LC is almost done ,you've got to convert the pull to a push by welding the rod to the front of your clutch pedal, then secure your master well to the fire wall.Angle/length is important.
I have used a LC pedal and Starion master (and Starion box) for a wide 2.6.Push is a little hard ,think theres some adjusting to do yet.Cheers :)
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

I was thinking of taking the entire starion pedal assembly, since I cant get acces to my welder util the end of the month. I havent looked under the dash yet to see if I can even do this. Hopefully there is enough room for the starion pedal setup because you can just use the master mounting portion of the pedal for a pedal mount which is only 2 studs. I'll save that job for last I think lol.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
leoca

Post by leoca »

Yes I have one ,had a comparo, its too long for my LC and the original it was modified by welding original one when I picked up the car off Ebay anyway.

You could have it shortened...but its location may have to be moved over as well.Its got a HUGE spring in it ...be careful. :)
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

sounds like this is going to be the worst part about the swap. I'm tempted to go buy a d50 trans and hope it lasts lol.
80's Hero
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

mate i have a starion hydrolic clutch conversion with stazza 5 speed in my scorpion
and im currently doing one in my sigma gsr its not that hard if you have all the parts of the stazza that you need if you need pcis i can show you
cheers
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

city hunter

Post by city hunter »

It wasnt that bad. I installed it a while back. I got it up about as high as I could, and I still have a full pedal throw, so i'm happy.

Here is a pic. I havent done anything with the old pedal yet. Guess I can double clutch hehe.

80's Hero
leoca

Post by leoca »

Thanks ,you've given me some hope I can use the starion pedal if I have to.
How did you secure the pedal at the top.Bolted it or angle iron maybe?.Cheers
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

I didnt bother. I've done it with brackets on auto to manual starion swaps, but frankly, the pedal is plenty secure enough with just the studs going through the firewall. It may be different with a really heavy duty pressure plate, but the stock setup or even a ebay 6 puck setup doesnt put enough pressure on it to bend anything.
80's Hero
SIR

Post by SIR »

I have nearly finished doing a hydraulic conversion on my LB. I used an AP Racing pull style cylinder, using this cylinder I was able to mount to master inside the cabin below the pivot point, I could have mounted a normal push style master in the cabin but it would have to have been above the pivot point and there isn't a lot of room up there.

Here it is, I just had to weld a small section of plate onto the steering column mount so the cylinder had something to mount to and then drill the hole in pedal for the rose joint to connect to. At the moment I am using a long bolt with spacers to mount the cylinder, now I know what dimensions it needs to be I will get something turned up.

Make sure you shop around for the master they retail for $600 new over here but they can be picked up very cheaply second hand over in the states on ebay it's just a matter of waiting for one with a small enough piston.

I installed the remote resivour in the engine bay out of the way of any heat sources.

rob020

Post by rob020 »

ive got a wilwood universal clutch pedal and master cylinder... would that do the trick?
i bought it for a rotary 323 but never got around to using it

like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wilwood- ... ccessories

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out