idler arm issues

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
city hunter

idler arm issues

Post by city hunter »

I've been having a hell fo a time with my idler arms just getting sloppy real qiuck. I notice the stud starts wobbing after a bit. The one that came witht eh car started doing it, I bought another, and it's probably worn out in about 10k miles. This is getitng to be a hard to find and expensive problem. Another issue is I cant even find a quality idler arm anymore either. Granted im lhd. Anyone else had any issues like this? Is there a better idler from another car that might bolt up?
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
DanTurboLancer

Re: idler arm issues

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Tell us more mate.

You may have to start looking at other reasons as to why its doing this, because an idler arm wearing out in that low amount of Miles isnt normal...

Steering box, Steering linkages, ball joints, Suspension,
Too larger tyres, Flex in the body/chassis its attached to,
Incorrectly fitted (not having ago at you, just throwing out ideas),
Is it hitting something when you turn from lock to lock...
man i cant think of any more things that can go wrong with them really..

Anyone else got some helpful advise??

All the best mate, let us know how you go
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

There doesnt seem much to screw up upon installing them. Granted it could be my driving over speedbumps at high speed.. lol I havent been running anything but 195 14 wheels with +15 offset.

None of the steering linkage was bad other than my idler. Everything else is nice and tight and I've lubed the balls recently. Maybe I didnt lube the bushings enough and it somehow caused the stud to get slop? I cant say for sure i dont have frame flex, but the care is solid with pretty much no rust and im running stock suspension. I'm half tempted to weld a bead around the top of that stud to see if it will take some slop out of it lol.
73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

I'd have to show video. The button on top moves back and forth which is the stud basically.

So basically you can take the wheel and turn it left and right a little, That stud wobbles a bit back and forth without affecting the center link. It creates some horrible slop.
80's Hero