Lancer Radiator/Oil Cooler

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
r20bear

Lancer Radiator/Oil Cooler

Post by r20bear »

So I am thinking I will keep the standard size lancer radiator, even though now I have a 2.6 4g54 astron 1 motor in the engine bay.

The lancer radiator fits the hole in the front end perfectly, I don't see how the other radiator (2L sigma) will have any benefit when it is the same thickness and width.

Although it is a little taller, the bottom of it would be hiding behind the frame and bodywork...

So what does everyone think. Should I make the effort to put in the sigma radiator, or will the lancer one cool enough water?

Oh and I should mention that it has two thermo fans fitted in front of said hole in the front end.

Rob
Last edited by r20bear on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
4dr LA Lancer
CBR600rr 07
DanTurboLancer

Re: Lancer Radiator

Post by DanTurboLancer »

maybe give it a reco birthday, but it will be fine.
Maybe fit a Temp gauge to make sure, if you havent already got one.
r20bear

Re: Lancer Radiator

Post by r20bear »

Might get a shiny new one ;)

The thermo fans are thermostatically (if that is a word) controlled, & I have the standard LA Lancer temp gauge, might plumb that into the thermostat housing...

Good times :)

Rob
4dr LA Lancer
CBR600rr 07
r20bear

Re: Lancer Radiator/Oil Cooler

Post by r20bear »

Dan Turbo Lancer has raised a good point.

The motor I am dropping in is an N/A Astron 1, 2.6L out of a GH sigma

If I do put an oil cooler in the car and run it from a sandwich adapter will the stocko oil pump flow enough for it all to be fine?

My gut feeling is it would be.

BTW
1. The oil cooler I believe is really not that necessary as the motor is N/A (is this right?)
2. The oil cooler is a low priority at this stage, more of an after thought as I got one with the car I bought for swapsies (though it might be good to have if I do have the smaller lancer radiator, all the cooling helps...?)

Cheers guys :)
Rob
4dr LA Lancer
CBR600rr 07
leoca

Post by leoca »

I am not a LA expert , but would be surprised if the LA Lancer saturn radiator holds as much as a 2.6 Astron one, have you measured both volumes yet?..

When I put my sigma turbo kit on my stock 2.6 astron 1, and ran a sigma turbo oil cooler/sandwich plate , I didnt have any oil pressure problems at all...unless you plan giving it heaps,maybe you should spend the money on a custom set of extractors instead...that will cost you a bit.Hope this helps!
MrBishi

Post by MrBishi »

Stock Lancer radiator might be ok (marginally) for a stock N/A Astron. Add any compression or boost and you will definetly need to go bigger. Don't bother with thicker go wider.
I ended up using a KC(??long time ago) Ford Laser radiator in my high comp 2.6 LA after the standard radiator couldn't cope. I even tried a 3 core to no avail.
I trimmed the radiator support panel on both L & R side to get more airflow. The Laser rad was a great fit between the frame rails and only needed new mounting tabs. The water pipes were even in the right spot.
dang

Post by dang »

I have a high comp 2.6NA in a LA and run the laser radiator with two thermo fans and an electric water pump, and it still runs pretty warm. My fans and pump are wired to the ignition and run full time. Luckily it's a rally car so I don't have to cope with traffic etc. I'd go as big as you can with the cooling, make sure you shield the extractors as well to aviod boiling the brake fluid in the resevoirs.
2 x LA 2 Dr
3 x LA 4 Dr
1 x LB 4 Dr
2 x 4G32 Twin Cams
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

If you have ever had an oil leak you'd know how important oil is to the temp.
I think maybe run the standard radiator if good if not maybe do a recore,
would save cutting up your Lancer. The Lancer is built for an oil cooler has
room for one behind the grill.
Have a look on ebay the RX2,3,4s Mazada's had a beaut oil cooler consider
one of them, I am thinking the same mob who built them built the Lancer Safari
oil coolers as look very similar are huge.
Last edited by boyracer on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3x la lancer 2door
2x gc galant hardtop
1x gc galant wagon
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

id just like to state that no matter what peoples opinions a standard lancer radiator WILL NOT cool a standard or wild turbo astron.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
webby

Post by webby »

r20bear wrote: The motor I am dropping in is an N/A Astron 1, 2.6L out of a GH sigma
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

webby wrote:
r20bear wrote: The motor I am dropping in is an N/A Astron 1, 2.6L out of a GH sigma
dosent matter mate i have had a lancer with a standard 2.6 it just isnt sufficient enough to cool the engine peroid.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
stealth

Post by stealth »

what radiator cap pressure are you using as this is also
a big part of keep it cold you must use
NO LESS THAN A 110 KPA
if you do it will run hot no matter what
cheer stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
r20bear

Post by r20bear »

The Lancer Radiator has been good enough so far, the thermo fans come on at about 3/4 of the temp gauge, it then resolves to half and that is where it sits.

So I dont know what is going on with others but it is ok for me for now.
4dr LA Lancer
CBR600rr 07
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

My LA with the 2L Sig Turbo was fine with the LA Rad, until i sat on the spot and fried the tyres, the static burnout is what boiled it and did 2 head gaskets for exactly same thing.

But what these guys are saying is definitely good advise.
Cant have enough cooling if you want to protect the motor for longevity...
larrylancer

Post by larrylancer »

I have a stock 2.6 in my la sedan. When I did the conversion I fitted a 2L sigma radiator and fitted a thermo fan in front of the radiator. This was fine for driving around the city and even fast spirited mountain road driving but not quite adequate for the racetrack. I do the wed and sat arv sprints at queensland raceway. For the sprints you only do 5 laps at a time and the temp gauge just keeps on climbing. The 2L sigma radiator is a 2 core unit so I had a 3 core unit made (cost $500!) the same dimensions as the 2L sigma unit and this is great, no more overheating at the track, can do as many laps as I want now, the thermo fan doesn't even cut in.
Hope this helps.
Ken.
ps. If your cooling is marginal with water glycol mix, you might want to try Redline water wetter. It lowers the surface tension of the water and increases heat transfer from the engine to the water and from the water to the radiator. I tried this stuff and larrylancer did run noticably cooler.
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

i'll let you all in on a secret........

LJ Torana.......

You'll never have a cooling problem again.